Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Already drivers present without installing for graphics tablets?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

(Maybe this belongs in the hardware section of the forums, but not sure)

Does Windows XP already have drivers for graphical pen tablets which know to automatically recognize when such device has been plugged in and then become automatically installed?

The reason I ask is that I bought an inexpensive graphical digitizing pen tablet and I believe the attempt to install the drivers from the included compact disc failed either partially or completely. At whatever extent this installation failure, I find that the graphical tablet when plugged in, works. I can draw with it, and I can manually write with it. The drawn items show on the screen (tested using in MS Paint). I cannot find a way to unintsall the drivers which I tried to install from the c.d. because there is no listing or any such new item in control panel Add/Remove programs. I do not know where else to look in the computer. Since I have no apparant way to uninstall the drivers for this device, I cannot now test how the machine reacts to the pen tablet when the included product's drivers are not insalled from the C.D. Therefore, I ask.

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2012 - 09:17 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

FWIW: I am focusing on how Windows works, not the hardware. It should not matter whether it's a tablet, netbook, desktop, etc., IMO.

Video drivers are installed automatically by any version of Windows. These drivers are the default drivers for that system which Windows happens to have in its driver cache (a part of Windows). If these were not installed, you would not be able to see anything onscreen.

These may happen to be the current drivers for that system...they may not. In the event that they are and they allows the user the desired video/screen resolution...there is no need to install video drivers from a CD. In the event that user desires a higher resolution, then more current drivers must be installed.

To access drivers...go Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Device Manager gives an overview of drivers installed.

Installed drivers are not necessarily reflected in Add/Remove Programs, that is not the appropriate place to look for such.

To uninstall drivers for any system function...go to Device Manager, double-click on the device...click the Drivers tab...click Uninstall. I would also add Reboot to the list of steps.

Upon reboot, Windows may again try to reinstall default drivers where no other driver has been installed.

Generally speaking...the installation routine for a driver package (whether on CD or downloaded) is the guide regarding whether or not the install succeeded.

If you see a yellow question mark by any item in Device Manager...then drivers are missing and need to be installed.

Louis

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Hi hamlius (or anyone else),

Would I need to connect the digital pen tablet to the computer in order to find its drivers in device manager? Or would they appear regardless of connecting the device or not?

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

I checked in Device Management as you said. This I did without connecting the graphical tablet. My guess is that Windows XP DOES come with drivers for devices like this and that the attempted install from the graphical tablet's compact disc did fail. I looked into two sections in Device Management and there are no warning symbols - no yellow marks.

I find these listed in Device Management:

Human Interface Devices:
Generic Virtual HID Driver
HID Compliant Device
HID Compliant Device (yes, listed twice)
Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical

Mice and Other Pointing Devices:
Alps pointing device
Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical (yes, listed here too)
Tablet Mouse (No indication of coming from any recent installation)

Another conclusion I have is that to run the installer for the device's drivers from the downloaded installer on the company's website should be safe to do.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

if its a usb device its not going to show in device manage unless its plugged in

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hi,
Any drivers included in Windows are optimized to work with a wide range of hardware. They are not optimized for performance or features.

Is there a reason you can not go to the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers? I suspect that without them you are not getting all the features.
If you can not figure out where to go please post the make and model.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yes, it is a usb device. I am still waiting for a extended response from the manufacturer who gave me some information about getting drivers to install from their website. I still have some questions about the downloaded file-set. While I still wait for their answer, I will do what you say about plugging the tablet into my computer and look again in device manager.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Can you post the product, model of your tablet as Roger asked?

Tekken

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

if its a usb device its not going to show in device manage unless its plugged in

Does this comparison tell anything? Could success of drivers installation be judged from this?

Device Management drivers listed in these sections while
NameOfProduct is plugged in on the Satellite with XP sp3

Human Interface Devices:
HID-compliant device
HID-compliant device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device

Mice and other pointing devices:
Alps Pointing-device
HID-compliant mouse
Tablet Mouse

While tablet device unplugged but normal mouse IS plugged in instead:

Human Interface Devices:
HID-compliant device
HID-compliant device

Mice and other pointing devices:
Alps Pointing-device
Tablet Mouse

I have not forgotten about the downloaded drivers installation package from the manufacturers site, and I have contacted the manufacturer. I'm still waiting for a response from the company before I give product name, model and manufacturer company.

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

The tablet is manufactured by VisTablet and is called PenPad. It does not have a specific model number; just called, PenPad.

I spent more time looking at the contents of the downloaded driver installer file package from the company and the contents in the disc which came with the PenPad, and opened the driver installer from the downloaded file. I did not run the downloaded installer, only opened it (since I already ran the installer to install drivers from the compact disc). I noticed a title in the opened installer file, "USB Tablet Manager". I also looked again in Control Panel's Add/Remove programs list and found "USB Tablet Manager". Noticing that these names match, I really believe that the installation (from the compact disc) in fact worked successfully. Also, I can see from the caption bubble over the new icon in the task tray, the wording, "Pen Pad".

Even though the icon is extremely plain, and I expected some other kind of icon design, and that the right-click of this icon does not bring up any menu (but opening by single or double click opens a settings dialog),I now believe that the PenPad tablet drivers are in fact successfully installed. I could still be wrong about this, maybe unknown less than full success; the PenPad works. Drawing and manually writing using MS Paint is still tricky and not nearly as neat as with a pen or pencil on paper (but still better than using just computer mouse).

(Not really sure if I want to try uninstalling and reinstalling using the downloaded file.)

The help here on the forum was good

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

It does sound as if the install was successful .
Enjoy the new toy.

Thank You for letting us know the outcome
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users