Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not click start button

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kreele

kreele

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Starting Monday morning I have been having problems with my Dell E5400 laptop. (work/company laptop)
After the computer starts up I can not click the start button in the task bar. If I use the keyboard windows key it also will not open the start menu. How ever if I click ctrl+alt+del then either open the task manager or cancel out of ctrl+alt+del option I then have access to my start menu/button.

At the same time I was having a problem with excel that when I click on any cell, the cell became highlighted and no functions would work. moving the mouse would only increase the selected cell size. My IT dept at work installed MS office 07 over my MS office 03 and the Excel problem cleared.

I have the same problem in adobe acrobat, if I open a file I can use scroll through the document with my house scroll wheel or arrows. Again once I click with in the document a point is selected in the document and again only lets you highlight areas.

In adobe and the excel 03 I could not even "x" out of the program. The only way to close the program was to force it closed with the task manager.

Below is a copy paste of my highjack this log, Thank you in advance

Log removed. HijackThis is used only in the specialized malware removal forum, and then only rarely. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 October 2012 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hi there,

I'm wondering if this could be caused by a stuck mouse button. Many of the symptoms would support that. Are you using an external mouse, if so can you detach it, and try with the mouse built into the laptop?
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 kreele

kreele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

I normally do use an external mouse and keyboard (with laptop in a docking station). I have removed the laptop from he docking station, the touchpad and keyboard drivers were removed and reinstalled.
This morning I also tried to remove the driver for the external mouse. Still no luck

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have seen this happen before if the Scroll Lock key is on, you don't have that on by any chance?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 kreele

kreele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I was got the issue resolved, this morning I disabled the internal touch pad and it resolved the issue.
Must be some hardware issue with my touch pad.

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Glad to hear you have resolved your issue... :clapping:

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users