Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Monitor turns self off and on by itself, and other problems.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bcordone

bcordone

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have a dell LCD monitor, its getting nearly 8 years old, so its not too unexpected for it to be dying on me, but any way to bring it back to life would be appriciated.

A while ago, it would extremely infrequently suddenly go black, then go to the "ULTRASHARP" bootup sreen thing. It would also sometimes make this annoying whining/hissing noise. Now, its gotten MUCH worse, sometimes it would go black, then make a whining noise for a breif second, only to "reboot" again a few more times, then finally turn on. when this happens, the green powerlight goes black, then green again as it tries to reboot.

By "Reboot" it goes black, then the backlight comes on for a breif second, then goes black again, and it repeats itself for sometimes what can seem like hours, unless i unplug it, and plug it back in later. Even then i only get about another 30seconds averge to use it before ti ends up doing the rebooting problem again.

Sometimes I get lucky and I can use it for a long time, but once i turn the monitor off, it will ususally enter the reboot cycle again.

Lately, its gotten extremely severe, and its getting on my nerves. I have troubleshooted it with my sisters monitor, and I can confirm the problem is with the monitor itself, and not my computer.

I googled my symptoms on the internet,turns out I'm not the only one, but i cannot dig up much information on it. I'm thinking it could be the inverter, but I'm still completely unsure. When it reboots and goes black, the display turns off ccompletely, and using a flashlight will not show the display, so a backlight failure is out of the question. It may be a capipaticer (Sp) Because when it tries to reboot, I hear this high pitched whine.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it seems to happen more often when its cold. My CRT tv upstairs displays static when i turn it on at night in the cold, and i have to wait a long tiem for it to start working again (When this happens, it connects to some kind of christian channel or something) While completely unrelated, I think it might be the same forces at work. When i turned on my monitor this morning, I could hardly make out the display beyond a heavy ammount of static, but this later cleared up, only for my monitor to enter the annoying reboot cycle. Sometimes it seems rapid changes of color can bring it on, like i could be using Steam (black backround application) and as soon as i close it to my brightly colored desktop, the whining gets lower pitched and i enter a reboot cycle again.

Someone, Please help! I come close to ramming my fist though my monitor and it's driving my crazy!

Edited by bcordone, 09 October 2012 - 07:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tequesta

Tequesta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

There is no inexpensive fix other than buying a new monitor. Eventually it will go black and will not turn on again. Parts and labor will cost more than an 8 year old monitor is worth. :rip: Unless you have schismatics, and testing equipment the parts you order and install will be a nonrefundable crap shoot. Get a new one and don't risk the hospital bill, it's not worth it. :smash: :killcomp: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users