Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 complete access.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cbowie

cbowie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hello all,

I am very new to this forum, but not so much to computers. I am running into this issue of having complete access to one PC running windows 7 from another one that is also running windows 7. One of the PC's is a windows 7 pro 32 bit and the other is window 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have had them setup with public and dedicated folder sharing. But from time to time I find that a file I want to get off one or the other was not saved to a shared folder. I have been looking for a way to allow complete access from one PC to other one (going both directions). I use 2 PC all the times and it really depends on where I am in the house as to what one I am using as one is laptop and the other is a desktop. They are both on the same network. It is just one of the strange things that I have not been able to find a way to get complete file access without the use of software like Teamviewer or others like it.What I would like to do it just go to the network location in the windows explore to get the files I want from the other PC. Any ideas would be very grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Although I dual-boot, I don't know if this applies to Win 7...but I do know that XP will not allow access to the Docs/Settings folders unless that is set up as a shared file...even if I go through procedures to share access to the entire drive/partition. I can access anything other than Docs/Settings on the Windows partition by designating access to the entire partition...but Docs/Settings must also be set up for sharing if I want to access files there.

I assume it's just Microsoft Safety at work :).

Louis

#3 cbowie

cbowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

I have tried setting up the C drive as a shared folder. But it would seem no matter what I did I would get a permissions error. For a long time I never have had passwords setup on my PC for log-in. I ran across some information that said you would have to have passwords setup to this process. So I set everything up with passwords and still no go. I was still getting the sames errors for permissions. I even went and tried to manually add the other PC to the C drive for permissions but it would seem that did not work either. I am starting to think that this not something you can do with windows 7 at all. Guess I will have to be happy with just sharing some folders and make sure to put my files in those folders only.

#4 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Have you tried the new "homegroup" features in Win 7? I've never used it as I don't run home versions of Windows, but it should help accomplish what you're looking to do.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#5 cbowie

cbowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

No the home group features only use the standard shared folders that are set to share with windows 7. With the home group you can not select the c drive as a shared folder at all.

#6 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

You should be able to go ahead and create the share of the entire drive. After that, what you must be aware of is that there are two places for permissions in Windows. When you add the share you choose permissions for the share. This is the first step in a two step process. You will choose either read or read/write depending if you want to save files back to the drive. You can give permissions to everyone (literally "everyone" with no quotes) or to a username (JohnDoe). The second step is that each folder has it's own permissions in the security tab which you can then tweak to be more restrictive than the share's permissions. So from the outside of the computer you must have two permissions that allow you into it. I would start with the share and report back.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users