Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proprietary graphics card drivers under Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

So far I have not been able to get the proprietary ATI/AMD drivers to work under Debian Squeeze, despite the supposedly up-to-date wiki claiming to have the complete procedure to get them working. (http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary) Even downloading the drivers directly from the website and using their install script does not work. This is not the latest card, it's a simple 5450, which the documentation says these drivers support. Has anyone managed to get the proprietary ATI/AMD drivers working under any Linux version? What about nVidia cards? If so, what version of Linux are you using? Is there perhaps a distribution out there not so intent of being "pure" that actually includes them by default? That would be the rational thing to do. If the vendor supports the hardware, accept their support!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

I believe ubuntu 12.04 has an almost automatic tool that installs proprietary drivers after install. I was able to get the driver for my XFX radeon 6770 without an issue. I'm not sure if the catalyst control manager could be used in linux (not necessary for my install, pretty much anything graphically heavy is done in windows).

Tomorrow if I have the time I'll be doing another 12.04 download on my laptop with an amd radeon 6520 card so I'll pay closer attention to it and give you the details.

#3 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

after installing ubuntu a notification pops up that says proprietary drivers are availible for your hardware (or something along those lines) and then embeds itself in the upper tool bar

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Progress on my side. The problem seems to be that the 32-bit i386 version installs the AMD64 kernel if it detects a chip with 64-bit capabilities, even though the rest of the system is still 32-bit. When I install a true 32-bit kernel the AMD installer (not fglrx from the repositories) does in fact install and work. Some other message threads I've found claim that using the AMD installer means it will break when the kernel is upgraded, though. So it looks like I will have to uninstall the AMD drivers when the kernel needs to be upgraded, and then reinstall them after the upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users