Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download....Browsers Freeze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drewber

Drewber

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

It all started with my wireless router not keeping the correct time. (I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router....the cable comes into the modem, from modem to router, from router to desktop) I changed the time and tried to save it and shortly thereafter my internet stop working and I got a Local Network Connect note alternating with a Network Cable Unplugged message. I didnt immediatly connect the internet stopping with saving on my router b/c I had saved many times before with out problems. That, however was the cause of the internet issue....all that to say....while i was searching for the cause of the internet outage, I of course searched for malware and virii. A previous post in bleepingcomputer was similar to my problem and Gringo had offered suggestions. I followed the suggestions and now when I attempt to download using ANY browser (I only use FireFox and Opera), the browser freezes and I have to use Task Mgr to end the process. I cannot even go into "download" on FF as it does the same thing.

According to MBAM, there is not malware. I have removed and installed firefox. I also removed and installed MBAM. I am at a loss. I can connect and download fine from my laptops using the wireless network, so it does not seem to be a router issue. I am thinking that something changed in my registry or bootup while doing various malware searches (AdW, Roguekiller, combofix, mbam, etc).

I still cannot save anything on my router as it disconnects the internet, so I am thinking of getting a new router.

I am looking for options on getting my desktop to be able to download again.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hello -
Based on the sound of what you are saying, the issue is not Malware related in any way, but is simply a Modem/Router problem or failure -

Was the Modem (the BOX) delivered from your Internet Provider, or did you purchase it yourself ??
If it was supplied by your Internet Provider, please contact them A.S.A.P. since it is failing.
If you purchased it yourself, still contact your Internet Provider to make sure there is no problems with their current service.

They will always offer to reset your Modem, and if you ask nicely, they may provide you with a new one -

Thank You -

#3 Drewber

Drewber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Why would the modem prevent me from downloading? I can down load fine on my laptops from the same modem/router, so it does NOT appear to be a modem issue. Something on my desktop computer is preventing downnloading and locking up the browsers when I use them. Other computers using the same network do not have the problem.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

A previous post in bleepingcomputer was similar to my problem and Gringo had offered suggestions. I followed the suggestions and now when I attempt to download using ANY browser (I only use FireFox and Opera), the browser freezes and I have to use Task Mgr to end the process. I cannot even go into "download" on FF as it does the same thing.

I am thinking that something changed in my registry or bootup while doing various malware searches (AdW, Roguekiller, combofix, mbam, etc).

For reference, so we don't repeat any suggestions for things you have already tried which topic are you referring to? If possible, please post the link.

When you ran Combofix did it find anything and if so did you let it do any fixes?

#5 Drewber

Drewber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Sorry about not refering to the post, I half thought about that, but knew I would not be able to find it again.

I've got my logs from scans...since you asked about combofix....

Mod Edit: Removed ComboFix log data. Not sllowed in this forum and not requested to be posted here. If you want to post your ComboFix log data, I suggest that you do so in the appropriate forum dealing with malware, following the general instruction at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html . The forum reflecting those instructions would be the primary forum for dealing with malware issues, ComboFix, etc. - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2012 - 05:33 PM.
Removed CF log - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users