Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pizzathehut

pizzathehut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

The other day a friend needed me to try to fix his computer that was extremely slow and had some malware on it. It's a crappy Compaq V2000 with low specs, the hard drive was full, fan needed cleaning, stuff like that. My friend and his family aren't tech people and don't know how to take care of a computer. I tried running Malware Bytes and some other programs to clean it up and see if we could get it running like it should but Malware Bytes crashed about 40 minutes into the scan. My friend and I had schedules to keep so we decided to back up some photos and files and reset the computer back to factory settings.

The computer for some reason had 12 freaking recovery cds, so we followed the instructions that came with them and I did a destructive recovery. All goes well until disc 9 and 2 Windows.something files just could not be read or found by the computer. I later checked the cd on my own computer by copying all the contents of the cd to my desktop and had no problems. I don't know why their computer couldn't recognize the files. I told the computer to retry finding the files but it wouldn't so we had to ignore them and move on. The recovery continued and then the computer tried to boot. Then we got the NTLRD is missing press ctrl alt delete message. I barely get the computer to post and that message always pops up. I tried using the Compaq Recovery program just like I did before but it won't let me try restoring from the cds. I'd love to get another chance to have the computer try restoring from that 9th cd because I had a cd cleaning kit used on it and if the computer could just load those files then I'd be fine. It spends 5 seconds saying it's doing the destructive recovery and then says it's all done and ready to reboot. The only option I haven't tried from the Compaq Recovery menu is do a total wipe, including XP. That's not an option because my friend doesn't have the XP cd, only the recovery cds.

So I look up the problem online and I create an XP recovery cd so that I can access the XP recovery console. I do have my Dell XP cd but I'm pretty sure trying any recovery options from the Dell cd would create more problems. So this is where things get even more annoying.

I get into the XP recovery console and it asks me which installation I would like to log into. The only option is d:\minint and I didn't have any clue what that meant. I tried the options I found online:

copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

bootcfg /rebuild

The XP recovery cd has ntdetect.com but not ntldr. I have my Dell cd to try copying that over if I want. I then learned from more searching on the internet that I can type c: after logging into the d:\minint installation so I do that and try the same commands and it's still mehh. I get desperate and bring over ntldr from the Dell cd and on the next boot it gives me 2 options of which Windows XP Home Edition I want to log into. It's like the screen you get when you're asked if you want to boot into Windows XP or Safe Mode or last know good configuration. I choose either one and I get this error:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt minint\system32\config\system

I can go back to the Compaq recovery console and put the computer back to factory settings and get the ntldr error all over again. The stuff I've found online to fix the minint\system32\config\system error usually require the XP installation cd which we don't have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

FWIW: System Support

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=432985&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00006110

Well...I would just restore to factory defaults, after running the appropriate hard drive/system diangostics to ensure that there are no hardware problems to deal with.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users