Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inexpensive desktop computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computerfreak11647

computerfreak11647

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

The hard drive on my old computer just died, so I'm looking into a new one. I don't really have any particular preference in brands, just as long as it runs well, and doesn't cost too much. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

If you are in the USA I would suggest Looking in the Sunday Circulars either in the Sunday paper or the Online Sale circular which prices should also apply to in store sales. They quite often have good buys there. In my area I would be looking at BestBuy, Staples, PC Richards, Office Depot and others of that type. Even Walmart.

They quite often have decent computers inexpensive. Not for gaming of course but good for most anything else.

The next thing to decide is do you want a bundle of computer and monitor or only computer.

At a Budget level I've seen some decent All in One computers where the computer is built into the Display. This Might be useful to buy in the touchscreen model if you are thinking of getting Windows 8. Plus they do save space. If you do go that route I might suggest getting a extended warranty, But only from the maker. To put it another way for a Toshiba only extend the warranty through Toshiba. HP only through HP, Sony only through Sony, Dell only through Dell. Plus the All In Ones do save space and reduce clutter. One power cable, Wireless or Wired Internet and Wireless Mouse and Keyboard

Also do not let a store bundle in services or extended warranty. No Optimization by the seller for example. You can come here for advice for free.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 October 2012 - 11:26 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

The hard drive on my old computer just died

or you just buy a new/used hard drive for the computer you have now ,if money is a real problem

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 computerfreak11647

computerfreak11647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

The hard drive on my old computer just died

or you just buy a new/used hard drive for the computer you have now ,if money is a real problem

It's really not worth it. The computer is almost 10 years old, and has a lot of other problems. At this point it's just easier to buy a new one...

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

It's really not worth it. ...

I agree it not worth a lot ,but whats a lot, if you lived near me, I could sell or even give you a 40gig drive for nuttin or 5 or 10 dollars ,happy computing

Edited by caperjac, 10 October 2012 - 05:41 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Not sure what price range you're budgeting but I've seen some solid PCs for $550-600+tax. Just about every manufacturer has a deal in this price range. There are some sub $500 systems also if you're looking a very basic system. Also, Microsoft is offering a $15 upgrade to Windows 8 if you buy a Windows 7 PC before Jan. 31 2013.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Depending on your price range you could check with some computer shops in your area. Ask if they have a basic build. If they say yes, ask how much, then ask about the specs. Also ask if you get a Windows install disk and the motherboard disk. If you don't get those 2 things you are out of luck if you have to reinstall the OS and the motherboard drivers.

Some computer shops have basic builds comparable in price to mid-range off the shelf systems. The advantage of a custom build is that they don't have the bloatware that is included in pre-builts.

#8 graphicsman

graphicsman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

this would be a good time to learn how to build your own computer. It would save you on money and would be a great learning tool. If you are in the US newegg does have some pretty good rigs for the low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users