Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan Won't Speed Up to Regulate Temperature

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RDoringo

RDoringo

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi all,

I've been having an issue with the fan on my CPU. Specifically, my fan is not speeding up to regulate the temperature as it rises. The idling temp of the CPUis usually fine (but still higher than normal, but the real issue is that the fan doesn't speed up when I'm gaming. I noticed this the other day (my Phenom fan is LOUD) and assumed that something was wrong.

I've booted into BIOS on my Asrock 970 Extreme3 mobo, and it looks like everything is fine from what I can see. My goal temperature is 50 degrees and it shows my fan's RPM. However, the temp it shows me in Bios is above 50 degrees, yet the fan does not step it up to regulate it. I have the fan set to automatically increase in Bios to reach the 50 degree temp.

I downloaded Speed Fan and checked automatic fan speed and then put my CPU under load. Again, no speed increase. Interestingly, Speed Fan says that my CPU fan is rotating at 0 RPM. I've checked inside the case and the fan is spinning. Also, Speed Fan DOES detect the speed of my chassis fan and my GPU fan.

I moved the computer on Sunday to hook into my TV to watch some football. I noticed the problem after moving it back. I thought maybe the fan connector came loose during the move or something, but it looks Ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Is it possible that my fan "burnt out" to a certain extent but is still spinning? As I said, the fan would run very loud when the pcu was under load, but I thought this was normal given the reviews I read of the Phenom's stock fan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well...what are the actual temperatures reflected by Speedfan when the system has been running?

If the temps exceed what is expected for the CPU...I would think it's time to replace the heatsink/fan, complemented by new thermal paste.

What CPU?

Louis

#4 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

While browsing the internet and such, the CPU runs at about 55 degrees. This is about 15 degrees higher than before. The CPU is a Phenom II x4 965 BE, and I've only had it for about 3 months.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Removed bad link, temp max for CPU is 62 Celsius.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#6 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi Louis,

When I click on that link I am getting a "page not found error."

#7 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

The issue is that when I am gaming the temperature goes up to over 70 degrees. I've concluded that the fan probably just malfunctioned or that the 4pin connector went bad. I ordered another fan off of newegg. It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

I'd still appreciate any other ideas on a fix, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users