Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I good protected?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Quote

• Banned
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hello,

Is my computer good protected with: Windows Firewall, MBAM, Anti-Spyware and MSE? Is this good, if no, tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

My take on that is that the most important part of a defense against Malware is the user's actions.

You have antivirus, and the windows firewall. If you are running the free version of MBAM, and Super? Anti-Spyware. Then they are only cleaners and provide no protection. Running the paid versions of either would improve your protection, MBAM preferred in my opinion.

AS for MSE I can only mention that I run a paid Antivirus. I run an Antivirus with and the Windows Firewall. I use Web of Trust as part of Internet Explorer and Firefox. I run Noscript in Firefox.

Any Antivirus is better than none.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Quote

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

My take on that is that the most important part of a defense against Malware is the user's actions.

You have antivirus, and the windows firewall. If you are running the free version of MBAM, and Super? Anti-Spyware. Then they are only cleaners and provide no protection. Running the paid versions of either would improve your protection, MBAM preferred in my opinion.

AS for MSE I can only mention that I run a paid Antivirus. I run an Antivirus with and the Windows Firewall. I use Web of Trust as part of Internet Explorer and Firefox. I run Noscript in Firefox.

Any Antivirus is better than none.

Good Luck
Roger

Hello Rotor,

Thanks for the answer, I have a license of MBAM, yes I mean Super Anti-Spyware. What antivirus do you run? I work a lot in a unsafe network or in the train, so I want a good av.

Thanks,
Mark

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

I would say any name brand when combined with MBAM in protection mode is about as good as you can get.
That would be Your Avast, Avira, AVG, McAfee, Norton etc.
As well as this page(s) Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources Updated Aug. 8, 2012

As a Test I hooked a HP Slimline to the Cable company WiFi outside and you wouldn't believe how many times the antivirus I loaded onto it popped up a warning that something was probing the ports.

In the house behind a router you are safer.

I wouldn't do anything financial over a open WiFi hotspot personally.

And I would keep important things backed up just in case.

Most Malware infection I've seen seem to related to an expired antivirus program.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 October 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi Ultra Mark

I would say with all that you are pretty well protected. :) However, you may wish to install some more preventive measures such as myWOT or a hosts file manger like HostsMan. myWot keeps you informed of a websites rating such as good, poor or bad through it's icon in the browser with green, yellow or red. HostsMan modifies your computers hosts file to block bad sites with popular block lists like HpHosts and lets you add others.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi Ultra Mark,

Do you also make regular backups?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 Quote

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

I would say any name brand when combined with MBAM in protection mode is about as good as you can get.
That would be Your Avast, Avira, AVG, McAfee, Norton etc.
As well as this page(s) Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources Updated Aug. 8, 2012

As a Test I hooked a HP Slimline to the Cable company WiFi outside and you wouldn't believe how many times the antivirus I loaded onto it popped up a warning that something was probing the ports.

In the house behind a router you are safer.

I wouldn't do anything financial over a open WiFi hotspot personally.

And I would keep important things backed up just in case.

Most Malware infection I've seen seem to related to an expired antivirus program.

Good Luck
Roger

I use now Avast! Internet Security, good enough?

Hi Ultra Mark

I would say with all that you are pretty well protected. :) However, you may wish to install some more preventive measures such as myWOT or a hosts file manger like HostsMan. myWot keeps you informed of a websites rating such as good, poor or bad through it's icon in the browser with green, yellow or red. HostsMan modifies your computers hosts file to block bad sites with popular block lists like HpHosts and lets you add others.

I use also KeyScambler Personal on my Firefox.

Hi Ultra Mark,

Do you also make regular backups?

What do you mean?

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

What do you mean?

Do you make copies of your data or of your complete disk to another device, for example an USB harddisk?
And if you do, do you also do it on a regular basis? For example each week?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 Quote

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

What do you mean?

Do you make copies of your data or of your complete disk to another device, for example an USB harddisk?
And if you do, do you also do it on a regular basis? For example each week?

Well, some things put I also on a USB...

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

Well, you should make backups.

Think about what data (documents, pictures, ...) you don't want to lose. Then make copies of that data on a USB stick or harddisk.
And to that regularly. For example, if you make new pictures each week, then do a backup each week so that you also have a copy of the new pictures.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#11 Quote

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

It are only files what I must give to the docent, put it also on a server there. :)

#12 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

If it is homework you should make backups of it. Unless you want to do it over when you overwrite it per mistake.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#13 Quote

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

If it is homework you should make backups of it. Unless you want to do it over when you overwrite it per mistake.

We can put it on a special program on school and my USB, good enough for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users