Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Package - KB2754296 caused viruses??

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BeeperJeep

BeeperJeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

I have an HP laptop running Vista SP2 32bit system. I went to bed on 10/1/2012 with my computer running fine. I woke up the next day to find all hell had broken loose. Weird little things were happening that weren't right so I went to Eset and did an online scan. Sure enough, 2 win32/olmarik viruses showed up. Did the quarantine. Iobit flush of system. Thought everything was ok. Went back to Eset, did another scan, now 9 viruses. Just a few: win32/olmarik AJE trojan ; win52/olm A troj ; win/64 olm G troj, etc. Some even saying "maybe variation of...". Did the whole TDSS Killer, MRT.exe, ran AVG. Rebooted, went to Eset, ran a scan and got the same: win32/AFK, ADZ & AJE trojans and a win32/openinstallapp. Totally pissed at that point. Did a back trace to see where the trigger was and what may have caused it. Two things: one, it was showing it comes from a gaming toolbar I use (which I've had for 2 yrs & NEVER had a problem with!). I uninstalled, went into regedit and found various entries left in there, along with the numbers that were showing up on the viruses when I clicked on properties on Eset. Got rid of every trace of the toolbar. The second thing was the only thing that happened that night was a Windows Update. On the 1st: Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 Installation date: ‎10/‎1/‎2012 3:05 PM Installation status: Successful Update type: Optional - On the 2nd: Microsoft Security Essentials Client Update Package - KB2754296 Installation date: ‎10/‎2/‎2012 3:08 AM Installation status: Successful Update type: Important. Since then, gotten the viruses off (thank you Super AntiSpyware and deleting entries in regedit) BUT I work from home. Have to use IE. If not business, I use Mozilla FF (much faster). I've NEVER had a problem viewing any videos or anything on there. I did from the 2nd on. Total uninstall, reinstall of FF, flash, quicktime, real player, etc. Nothing works. Some work in IE, some say flash isn't working, needs updating. Other weird thing: task scheduler doesn't work now. Each time I click on it, I get 3 different error alerts: task image is corrupt or has been tampered with: 21772825; same msg is next with: 1762716; last is: same msg ending in .mcupdate. There are other odd things like that in Computer Management but I think you get the drift. I've been running scans like a fiend at least 3 times a day since this began and so far, no more viruses show up but my FF, IE and Comp Mgmt is still screwed. I've even tried doing a system restore back to that original update but it gets almost all the way through and says something went wrong, system didn't restore. ??? Anyone have any clue what happened here because I've already backed up my pictures and am currently backing up my music, docs, etc. I'd hate to do a system recovery and start from scratch but if I have to, then so be it. Any clues? Thanks!!!

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Vista to Am I Infected? to determine is infection is present. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 October 2012 - 11:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users