Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound on Presario V3000 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daftyorky

Daftyorky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

I have a Compaq Presario V3000 (approximately 4 years old) running Windows XP SP3. When I plug in the headphones, I assume the laptop speakers should be muted. This does not happen.

I have conducted some research and discovered that this Presario model was apparently designed to specifically run Windows Vista and running XP interferes with the muting facility.

Would anyone know how this problem may be solved (without resorting to buying Vista)?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Windows Vista and running XP interferes with the muting facility.

The laptop can be run with either OS. Did you checked the Control Panel - System and Sound - Speaker/Audio output?

Tekken

#3 Daftyorky

Daftyorky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Thank you for your quick response.

As far as I am aware, I've checked all applicable settings in the control panel. Whatever changes I make to audio settings it applies itself to both internal speakers and headphones equally.

Cheers

Y

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

There is usually only one audio output port for headphones and speakers, so its either there is a hardware problem or just a settings needed to be changed. If reinstalling the audio driver would not resolved this, its either the port or using another 3.5 mm jack device would help resolving the problem.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users