Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

I have just enabled my phone line to ADSL and installed the gear mentioned below. I am living in a boardinghouse and have allowed others to use the network via USB adapters. I am a complete newbie to networking and want to configure the system protection from outside interference and ensure my PC is isolated from other users. Any assistance much appreciated.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:31 AM

you want to allow some users, but keep the uninvited ones away, is this correct? I noticed you have a router/modem for your dsl connection. teh more secure way to allow people on your network is on a wire of course instead of wireless. however wireless is sometimes much ,more convienient. so enable at least an entry level type of security, like WEP. you can look at another post to read about some help there if you need it.... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47126/insecure-wireless-router/
that post describes briefly how tro enable a mild but "better then nothing" form of security.
as far as security against the users on your network, why dont you change the name of your computers workgroup to something obscure. that way they cant see your computer automatically. using a software firewall can also be very helpful, and even the microsoft firewall is ok for this. there are other better firewalls , but this will suffice for your friends that you let on.
hope this helped, post back if you need mre info, someone will be able to help you out.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Snapper (love yr avatar). Yes, users are scattered over two floors so wireless is really the only way to go. I have been tracking thru my machine and so far have gone: Control panel/Network connections/Wireless connections/Properties-General,unchecked File&Printer Sharing/Wireless Networks-Preferred Networks=RTA1025+++/Properties/Association-gives me the SSID, Network Authentication=OPEN(or Shared or WPA or WPA-PSK), Data Encrytion=DISABLED(or WEP). If I enable WEP, the automatic key box is checked.
If I enable any of these, what effect will this have on other users?
I could of course just ring the helpline, but this is much more enjoyable & hopefully, other viewers may learn as I am. Cheers. Rob.

Modem/router info ADSL2+ Wireless Modem Router (RTA1025W)

• Broadband Internet Access up to 24 Mbps
• Supports ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+
• Simple Configuration
• Integrated 54 Mbps Wireless Access
• Wireless Security, WEP and WPA
• 4 Ethernet Ports for Internet Sharing
• Suitable for Home and Office Networks
• Security Firewall & DMZ
• VPN Passthrough
• Port Forwarding, UPnP and Qos
• Freecall Helpline

The RTA1025W is an ADSL/2/2+ Compatible router/modem/switch with A built in wireless access point, providing wireless internet and file sharing between multiple computers. With it’s built in four port switch providing connections to four computers via Ethernet cable, supplying a seamless network to over 8 PC’s with no other hardware required. Included in its long list of features is an IP packet filtering firewall, WEP, WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption, all this provides a safe platform while providing the user with the capability to talk on the phone while surfing the internet at the same time all in one sleek and stylish unit.

Edited by rowal5555, 20 March 2006 - 02:51 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

Have just been to grc.com to have an external security check done and was very pleasantly surprised at the results. Don't think I will be altering anything.
Checking the Most Common and
Troublesome Internet Ports

This Internet Common Ports Probe attempts to establish standard TCP Internet connections with a collection of standard, well-known, and often vulnerable or troublesome Internet ports on YOUR computer. Since this is being done from our server, successful connections demonstrate which of your ports are "open" or visible and soliciting connections from passing Internet port scanners.

Your computer at IP:

Is being profiled. Please stand by. . .

Total elapsed testing time: 4.985 seconds

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Port
Service
Status Security Implications

<nil>
Stealth There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

FTP
Stealth There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

SSH

Telnet

SMTP

Finger

HTTP

POP3

IDENT

NNTP

RPC

Net
BIOS

IMAP

LDAP

HTTPS

MSFT
DS

ms-ils

DCOM

Host

Host

Host

Host

Host

Host

H.323

UPnP

You may click on the Text Summary button to receive a condensed textual report of the Common Ports Probe findings

Shields UP! is checking YOUR computer's Internet
connection security . . . currently located at IP:

Please Stand By. . .

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Hopefully it will be very hard to better these results. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:38 AM

Make sure your layered security is installed and up to date.

Router NAT
Antivirus
Firewall (Software)
Antispyware

Good luck and Congratulation on your achivement.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

Thank you Acklan. Would you please elaborate. I am guessing that you mean that while my PC is secure, the network could still be accessible from outside??

But it is now 0045 and I must go to bed. This is the most addictive site I've ever been to. LOL. Cheers, Rob

Edited by rowal5555, 20 March 2006 - 07:58 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

It's nice to be stealthy but guard again an intruder who may slip thru the wire in a download , P2P, email,..

A good antivirus, with up to date defifions is an absolute. Have a software firewall to stop any malware that does get on your system from"phoning home". The router will hide your computer from the general internet. The antispyware will help block bad sites and adware.
Wha t security software are you running?

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

Thanks again. My signature shows most of my security apps. I check for updates on those that do not do this automatically every couple of days.
What would you recommend regarding WEP et al. Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 20 March 2006 - 04:03 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:34 AM

It looks like you are very well protected. Just make sure your WEP security is enabled, with strong encryption and a good password.

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

Further to this, I just came across this freebie which says it will do exactly what I want, i.e. allow some access to my network and block others. I haven't installed it yet but thought I would post it and if someone has an opinion, they could perhaps share their thoughts.

The blurb is:

myWIFIzone
WIFI Internet Access Blocker

Our Rating: 4 stars (Very Good)

myWIFIzone enables you to prevent freeloaders from using your WIFI network to surf the web without having to fiddle with your WIFI access point configuration. It can be installed on any machine on the network, from where it runs a DHCP server that automatically responds to any intruder requests and takes control of the connection. If an outsider attempts to use your web connectivity, he will be shown an `Access Not Available` screen and you will be notified from the system tray. You can also choose to allow requests and maintain a list of allowed IP and MAC addresses. myWIFIzone supports WEP and WPA.
Download myWIFIzone
Freeware

This app can be found here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mywifizone.html

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users