Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insecure Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YATZEE!

YATZEE!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Seriously though, I have recently bought a laptop and wanted a wireless router to enable me to surf the web anywhere in my house. I have installed the wireless router and conected my desktop directly to it, and my laptop remotely. Unfortunately I see that I do not have a "secure" network. My neighbors are all on secure networks, but I am not. Could someone please give me some tips on accessing my wireless router set-up features and pointing me in the direction to allow me to activate a wap encription? Thanks in advance!

-William

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:15 AM

security is what u want it to be in wireless world.
something quick, and very mainstream, is to configure WEP. either 64 bit or 128 bit.
this is something easily done in your routers configuration. for instance, in my linksys, i type in my router's ip address , type in my username and password, now i am into my configuration page. from here, i find a tab called security, (it can be under wireless too, depends on your router) , look for wireless security, now by default, it has wireless security turned off. so i enable it to>>>>WEP , set the bit code to 64, choose a ten hexadecimal digit code, hit apply on the bottom of the router, it reboots and voila!!!

now, WEP is a weak form of encryption, albeit, it is certainly better then nothing. there is other protocols you can learn about if you want to find out about them. but let me assure you, when it comes to security, there is no such thing as absolute. if someone has enough money/time/drive, they are getting through anything.

hope this helped. if you need more help, please include the name of your router and wireless card in your next post so i can be more specific.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 YATZEE!

YATZEE!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the input snapper. I can't for the life of me find any tab which will direct me to enable any kind of encryption. Let me state the chain of event that has occurred since the last time I had no computer problems...

Originally I used a typical desktop with a direct connection to a modem for my simple internet needs. Two weeks ago I purchased a laptop for my wife to use for her business needs anywhere around the house. We have two children and the need for her to mobilize was a necessity.

I purchased a HP 1000 series laptop with an apparent built-in wireless capabilities. Obviously I now needed a wireless router. I purchased the Belkin wireless G router. I loaded the setup disk and followed the wizards instructions carefully. Now here are my problems:

1. I can not sustain an internet connection. I have it for a while and it signals to me that it lost the "network connection". I then become offline.

2. I can not for the life of me find where I can enable the encryption. I see my neighbors are encrypted, but there I am... unsecure.

3. I can not establish a network between my desktop, (which is also connected to the router) and my laptop for the ability to save information created on the laptop to be saved on my much larger hard drive that my desktop has.

Here is some information that may be needed:

My desktop is a Dell Dimension 4100 using a windows XP professional operating system.

My laptop is again, a HP 1000 series laptop using a windows XP Home edition.

I am using a Belkin Wireless G router.

I have no "cards" as you asked about. I am assuming that the card you are referring to is some kind of built-in hardware piece. If that is the case than what I have investigated tells me I have a "broadcom 802.11 WLAN...something-or-other.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on my dark travels through this abyss-like weekend home networking mysery.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

What is the model number of you Belkin Router?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

If you have a modem then i suppose you are on dailup. If so,i think the best way to go is by runningthe belking router from the desktop and turn on the internet connect sharing.this is done by clicking start programs, accessories, comunication,and choose the network connection. this will guid you through the setup.You will need to do this on both the computers.
Now the reason for running the belkin router through the desktop,(if it is dailup), is because only your desktop have the dauilup configuration on it and is meant to dail when you try goind onto the net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users