Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Moneypak virus

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mreid72

mreid72

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I was reading an article on a website when all of a sudden a screen came up which I have now identified as the FBI Moneypak virus. After some research, I discovered that I needed to reboot in safe mode. However, when I tried to do so by pressing F8 several times after restarting the computer, I was unsuccessful. The monitor stayed blank with the power button an amber color. It finally turned on, but the same FBI Moneypak screen was all that I could see.

I read that I could force the computer to start the next time in safe mode by going to msconfig, selecting the Boot tab, and checking the box for Safe Boot. Since I was able to switch to a different user with Ctrl-Alt-Del, I did the above from another account. I then restarted the computer, and that's when another problem presented itself.

Now the monitor won't turn on at all. The power button remains an amber color, awaiting a signal from the computer. I have tried restarting the computer several times (holding the power button down to get it to turn off), but I still can't see anything or do anything. I have tried pressing F8 several times immediately after turning on the computer, as well as pressing F12, but also with no success. I simply can't do anything with it.

Most searches for answers to this problem point to some type of hardware problem like the motherboard, graphics card, etc. This computer is only a few months old, so I doubt that's the issue. Plus, since all of this started immediately after being infected by the FBI Moneypak virus, I strongly believe it's linked to that.

Please advise! Since I have no control over my computer, I have no idea what to do!

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

What is the Operating System and do you have an install disk?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. I have a disk that came with the computer that I'm assuming is an install disk. It says it includes SP1. I did try putting it in the CD drive to see if it would boot from there but to no avail. I can't get to any menu in the computer to change boot options though.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

I will ask someone that specializes in this to look.. May not get back here tonight..
We needed that info.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Any ideas yet? Somebody please help. I work in my own business from home and this computer is my life. I need it up and running ASAP! Thanks.

#6 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I know everyone is busy, and there are others who need help too, but can anyone help? Last night was the last response. If you aren't able to help, can you please direct me to someone who can? I am in dire need of some guidance here. Thanks.

#7 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I'm not sure how much help I will be but I have a few questions, they may be helpful to another helper as well.

When you reboot do you see anything on your monitor at all?

If so what do you see, and can you press F12 to get to a boot options menu?

From experience amber power light, at least on Dell systems, usually point to a bad power supply. It may be a possibility that your power supply is a lemon.

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Hello mreid72,

Not sure if you are still there waiting for assistance or you have already initiated another type of assistance.

The system at the moment in not workable as long as it doesn't start to load the BIOS. It started with malware but somehow it got escalated. Using msconfig to get to Safe Mode is not a safe function MS has integrated into the system. I have seen many people using it and got themselves locked when they were not able to boot into Safe Mode.

So first of all we need to get the system started in order to be able to read CD/DVD-ROM.

Then we need to remove the infection and at the same time remove the Safe Mode configuration to allow the system boot normally.

The second part is not a challenge and we have the required tool and expertise and you don't need to do a lot. But the first part requires a little technical ability from your part.

So please tell me if you are still there and ready to try to make the system start and read the CD/DVD-ROM in order to let us go to the System Recovery Options.

Edited by Farbar, 10 October 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#9 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm not sure how much help I will be but I have a few questions, they may be helpful to another helper as well.

When you reboot do you see anything on your monitor at all?

If so what do you see, and can you press F12 to get to a boot options menu?

From experience amber power light, at least on Dell systems, usually point to a bad power supply. It may be a possibility that your power supply is a lemon.

No, I don't see anything on the monitor.

As stated above, pressing F12 as soon as the computer starts up (and continuing to press it) does absolutely nothing. Same for pressing F8.

I have always had the amber light on the monitor until the computer is completely booted up. I never see the BIOS menu. Odd, I know, but that's the way it's been with this computer since I bought it in January. It's not a Dell. It's a Digital Storm.

#10 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hello mreid72,

Not sure if you are still there waiting for assistance or you have already initiated another type of assistance.

The system at the moment in not workable as long as it doesn't start to load the BIOS. It started with malware but somehow it got escalated. Using msconfig to get to Safe Mode is not a safe function MS has integrated into the system. I have seen many people using it and got themselves locked when they were not able to boot into Safe Mode.

So first of all we need to get the system started in order to be able to read CD/DVD-ROM.

Then we need to remove the infection and at the same time remove the Safe Mode configuration to allow the system boot normally.

The second part is not a challenge and we have the required tool and expertise and you don't need to do a lot. But the first part requires a little technical ability from your part.

So please tell me if you are still there and ready to try to make the system start and read the CD/DVD-ROM in order to let us go to the System Recovery Options.

Yes, I'm still here anxiously awaiting help. Please give me instructions to try to boot from the CD/DVD-ROM drive. As stated above, I did try putting the Windows 7 disk into the drive hoping it would boot from there, but no luck.

Thanks for the help. Eagerly waiting.

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I would like to note that from now on you don't need to answer to any other post and you don't need to quote my post.

Please insert your Windows installation DVD into the CD/DVD-ROM drive and don't remove it. The first opportunity we get the system going on you need to tap any key in order to boot into the CD/DVD-ROM drive.

In case in the course of action you could boot into the Windows installation DVD don't exit it otherwise we loose the system again.

After making sure you have inserted your Windows installation DVD into the CD/DVD-ROM drive:

Turn off the computer. Then disconnect it from the power so that it is not connected any more. Wait until 2-3 minutes and connect the computer to the power, then press the power button and see if anything appears on the monitor. If yes, you should press a key in order to boot from the CD/DVD-ROM drive. If nothing appears on the monitor please let me know and we try something else.

Please give me feedback about how it went.

#12 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I did exactly as you stated but nothing is appearing on my monitor. It still has the amber light, never turning blue. I even turned the monitor off and back on again. It turned blue when it came on, showed the Acer logo, then said "No Signal" and went back to amber color.

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Just to make it clear, the monitor has nothing to do with it. The signal is not coming from the PC, so whatever you do with monitor has no effect on the system. Just think of the scenario that your PC goes to "sleep" or "standby" and doesn't wake up. That is the situation we are dealing with. We need to wake up the system. Then we have two possible situations. First is that the PC is configured in the BIOS to read the CD/DVD-ROM first. In that case after wake up you need to press a key in order to boot into the installation CD. The second scenario is that the PC in not configured in the BIOS to boot from CD. In the latter case we use F12 (in some cases F2) to get into BIOS and make CD drive the first boot options.

Let see if you can do this one. If you have any question please ask. This is the part that you need some technical activity. We need to release anything from the RAM and reset BIOS.

First you should disconnect PC from the power.

Second, you need to turn off the PC, open the case, remove the RAM(S) from it. Also remove the coin battery from it.
Then while those parts are removed connect the PC turn it on, you might hear peep tones, let it about 10 second until you hear no peep.
Now place the RAM(s) and the battery and make sure they are tight as they where before.
Then connect the PC, turn it on and wait. If you see any activity on the screen press F12 and F2 and see if you get to BIOS set up.

#14 mreid72

mreid72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm not entirely sure what those parts look like since I'm not very proficient in this area. However, I imagine I can call the company I bought the computer from, and they can walk me through the process. However, since I have lots of work at the moment that must be done in the next 4 hours, I doubt I'll get to it today, even though I would very much like to. I might be able to do it late tonight but definitely first thing in the morning (Texas, USA time). Thanks for helping, and please keep checking back to see if I've replied.

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

Since you are not that proficient, indeed the best thing is to try to contact the company and see if they can at least get you to the BIOS. From that point on I can assist you with the rest.

I'm living in Holland, so we live in different time zones, but surely I'll be alert and will keep an eye on the thread.

Good luck and until the next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users