Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot in normal mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Amalthea

Amalthea

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm in a bit of a jam, and I'm hoping somebody might have a suggestion for me. My computer had been running slowly and freezing a lot, so a few days ago I went through and deleted temporary files, changed it so fewer programs would run at start-up, uninstalled Adaware because I had read that it could conflict with antivirus software, ran a scan in avast, and then restarted. After restarting, the computer got to the blue welcome screen, and then stopped before it finished loading. Since then, I've only been able to boot in safe mode.

I thought I might have a virus, so I ran some scans over the weekend at the advice of somebody on a different website's forums, but I haven't gotten anywhere. And I'm not at all sure that this is due to a virus--I'm worried that I managed to stupidly delete an essential file or something while trying to clean up.

I've tried running start-up repair from the boot menu, and it didn't find any problems. Now I'm at a loss for what to try next. And I'm a freelancer who needs this computer for work--so even any ideas for how to get Acrobat Pro to run in safe mode would be helpful. Any suggestions of other steps I might take to fix this?

Edited by Amalthea, 08 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amalthea

Amalthea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Never mind. Last known good configuration worked.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for letting us know :).

Louis

#4 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

I'm in a bit of a jam, and I'm hoping somebody might have a suggestion for me. My computer had been running slowly and freezing a lot, so a few days ago I went through and deleted temporary files, changed it so fewer programs would run at start-up, uninstalled Adaware because I had read that it could conflict with antivirus software, ran a scan in avast, and then restarted. After restarting, the computer got to the blue welcome screen, and then stopped before it finished loading. Since then, I've only been able to boot in safe mode.

I thought I might have a virus, so I ran some scans over the weekend at the advice of somebody on a different website's forums, but I haven't gotten anywhere. And I'm not at all sure that this is due to a virus--I'm worried that I managed to stupidly delete an essential file or something while trying to clean up.

I've tried running start-up repair from the boot menu, and it didn't find any problems. Now I'm at a loss for what to try next. And I'm a freelancer who needs this computer for work--so even any ideas for how to get Acrobat Pro to run in safe mode would be helpful. Any suggestions of other steps I might take to fix this?

Try re-installing your operating system maybe its just the deleted file that you mentioned that is causing the problem and by re-installing your operating system you are in a way replacing your deleted system file with a new one...

Mod Edit: Issue resolved - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2012 - 02:03 PM.
Added note - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users