Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really badly bent/broke MoBo pins

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Idamannotchu

Idamannotchu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hey folks, im new to this forum and looking for some advice on my PC. I let a friend of mine borrow my pc and he insisted to clean out the computer.
After he was done 'cleaning' he said it wouldnt start. -.-
So after inspecting and asking what he did, he said he accidently put the CPU in wrong and applied the lock /Heatsink. Bending the pins and breaking a few.
It is a horrible bend, almost 60-70% are crazy bad; I tried to bend most of them back but only begin to break them because they were bent so bad.

So far ive diagnosed the PSU. HD / CDrom and psu run when i jump the psu with a paperclip. Making me think the MOBO isnt working properly.
I will post a picture soon just so you can see.

My PC boots up for about 5 seconds then shuts off to restart a few seconds later and repeats. Could this be because of the bad pins on the mobo? or a bad mobo in general?
Thanks for any advice/help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hi
If the pins are in the motherboard socket then you need a new Motherboard. They don't spend money on things that are no needed.
If the Pins are on the CPU then you need a New CPU.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Idamannotchu

Idamannotchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. My pins come out of my mobo and come in contact with the little plates on my cpu. So ive ordered a new mobo ( exact same one as the old one. )
I shouldnt need to do anything after installing the mobo? Ive heard someone say i would need a new OS, but i was almost sure it would be on my HDD?
Thanks for the help so far =)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

If the hardware is exactly the same, then the windows should boot up with no problems and everything should be good to go.
If you changed to a different Motherboard than you would most likely have to fix Windows. Same Motherboard no problem.

Do not forget to clean the CPU and the heatsink with a solvent. I use Isopropyl Alcohol 90+ percent alcohol. Then apply new Thermal compound.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Idamannotchu

Idamannotchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for your help, i will surely get some more thermal paste and clean it good.
I just wanted to ask, if when i get my new mobo tommorow or the next day, and if it does the same thing, could it be the Graphics card then?
Is there any way beside putting my GPU in another system to check it?
Id hate to have to replace my video card ( more expensive part ) as well as the cpu -.-
Thanks for your help!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Wait and see what happens with the New Motherboard. a Damaged CPU socket would cause everything you experienced.

The best and only way that you could afford to test the GPU & the CPU is to test them in a motherboard. I doubt you would like the equipment price Intel paid to test chips, Same with the Video Card. I would ask your "Friend" if he pulled the fan off of the video card? If so it'll need to be re-thermal compounded too.

Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Idamannotchu

Idamannotchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks, i will wait for the new mobo and try it out, and if i have any more problems i will be sure to post;
He said he just pulled out the GPU from the mobo and blew canned air around the inside to blow out some dust.
That couldnt cause a problem could it? Ive use air duster many of times onn this pc and had no problems.
Thanks for your help =)

#8 Idamannotchu

Idamannotchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Asked my friend what all he did and exactly what happened. He took out the GPU and blew around in the inside.
Rebooted the computer to notice the graphics were really messsed up ( bad color and missing pixels and such )
He then pulled out the cpu and looked in the socket to replace it wrong/bend pins. Now it boots for a second or two shuts down and reboots and repeats.
could the MoBo cause bad graphics? I have a funny feeling imma put in my new MoBo and my GPU could be messed up too?
Thanks for your help

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi
No way that I can see to tell about the Video card without trying. It is possible that it wasn't completely inserted or that it was static damaged, however this is the wrong time of year to for static.

Hoping it is only the Motherboard for you.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 October 2012 - 05:15 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#10 Idamannotchu

Idamannotchu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hello! Okay so i got my new MoBo in and took carefuly care to place it in the case and screw it down. Cleaned then applied a new layer of thermal paste and then once i made sure all the connections were on the mobo, ( just power cord and mouse/keyboard ). I pressed the power button.
The computer started and stayed on for more then 5 seconds ( not restarting or rebooting ).

Then i thought, okay kmon Video card. I applied the HDMI cord for my video and to my pc; Pressed power once monitor was on.
But now it starts with really distorted graphics ( on the start up etc ) So i immediately power down.
Im thinking my video card was bad too, does this sound like a video card issue? This also happened right before my computer started freaking out ( rebooting every 5 or so seconds ).

Im thinking that its the video card? I started the PC with no Video card but because my MoBo has no onboard grapics, it only beeped at me.
I just wanted to know if this sounds like a video card issue? Im hoping thats all i have left to get my rig working again!
Please and thank you for your advice!

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hello, I am sad to hear about your unfortunate dilemma with your computer.

Graphics issues can be related to a faulty GPU chip, that could have sustained damage caused by circuit board stressing. But it can also be caused by a damaged circuit that is the result of an electrical short somewhere inside the computer system.

It is hard to say exactly what your inexperienced repair tech did to your computer system, but it is probably more likely more than we both realize. (Only that person knows for sure.

You did not state what your video card's make and model number is, but I would say it is a safe bet, that your next course of action is to buy another video card and see how well it functions.

If you can buy one locally, that would be my best recommendation, as it would be easier to return it in the event it also gives you the same negative results. You will also know that it is not your original video card, but an issue with a missing power connector on the video card its self. Check to see if your video card requires one from your PSU for it to power up correctly.

Also before all else is tried, please be sure the video card is FULLY seated in the video card slot and that the hold down screw is not up-rooting the video card from its slot when tightening it. This has been known to happen quite often and is hard to notice with out close inspection and bright light.

For what it's all worth, video cards are quite inexspensive these days, a 2 GB PCI-E Nvidia Geforce video card can be purchased for under $40.00 USD.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Kind regards as always....

Bruce.

Edited: Corrected spelling.~Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users