Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 willquito

willquito

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic468546.html/page__gopid__2863814 - Hamluis.

Hi,

Ive been having the exact same problem. I tried following the instructions listed above but I am met with the same response with the Catalyst program (wrong software/hardware). This is happening despite a successful download of the latest driver from the HP website. I also have an HP Envy 15 and there is great inconsistency with performance, most likely due to the complications with the switchable graphics. Some things run great, others barely at all. Please help! Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2012 - 02:23 PM.
Split, PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 willquito

willquito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

I recently installed the new driver from HP and with it the catalyst program provided in the link above. Since I have not uninstalled any drivers at all, yet still am unable to use the Catalyst program linked, what should my next steps be? It seems as if it card just cannot switch over at some points, even if a game or program is put on the 'high performance' setting. At times it runs fine (with Shogun 2 for example) yet in others (Arma 2) things are virtually unplayable. Would it help if I provided a DxDiag for reference?

#3 seifpic

seifpic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

I recently installed the new driver from HP and with it the catalyst program provided in the link above. Since I have not uninstalled any drivers at all, yet still am unable to use the Catalyst program linked, what should my next steps be? It seems as if it card just cannot switch over at some points, even if a game or program is put on the 'high performance' setting. At times it runs fine (with Shogun 2 for example) yet in others (Arma 2) things are virtually unplayable. Would it help if I provided a DxDiag for reference?

Your issue is the one I had in the beginning. All you have to do is follow the steps in this link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02948560&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5218394 If you have an HP Envy 15, then start from step 3.

#4 willquito

willquito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Ha now it is waaay worse. Nothing is playable in the slightest. I switched to Fixed graphics mode as instructed in the link from HP. Any ideas?

#5 seifpic

seifpic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Right-click on the desktop and press "configure switchable graphics", a window will open, then click on the "High Performance" button. The screen might flicker a bit but after that you should be able to play games.

#6 willquito

willquito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I did precisely as you said and it is still not working. All games are even slower than they were before. I simply have a hard time believing that Arma 2 would have such poor performance on this machine, and with these new changes its even worse. Were you able to find a way to get that other Catalyst program working?

#7 willquito

willquito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

BUMP

Please respond to my questions. I reverted back to Dynamic in the BIOS and now its way worse than before. Please help me figure out what is going on.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Apologise for the delay give me time to read up on the problem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

A few questions

• What is the make model number of your envy 15. This is located under the battery on the service tag. If you need help removing the battery or locating the tag the Service manual can be found HERE
  • Is the factory recovery partition intact or do you have the factory recovery cd's/dvd's?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users