Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinPatrol excessive pop-ups: Startup program detected: Adobe Flash Player

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 nyseman

nyseman

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hello,

Gringo did a great job a couple of weeks ago in helping me resolve my computer conflicts. After everything seemed to be back to normal, I followed his suggestion and installed the three maintenance/anit-malware programs (Malwarebytes, MSE, and WinPatrol). Just yesterday I started to receive pop-ups from WinPatrol saying the following:

"A new auto Startup Program has been detected. Type: RunOnce; Often required for software updates and new installations. This program will only run once, the next time you restart your computer. Do you approve the addition of this program startup setting? Press Yes if this program is expected and acceptable. 'ADOBE FLASH PLAYER INSTALLER/UNINSTALLER' C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_11_3_300_257_ActiveX.exe -update activex"

I kept pressing no at first and the same pop-up would come appear about 3-4 times and then the WinPatrol website page would come up. I then decided to press 'yes' and restarted my computer, but the pop-ups still keep coming up. Very frustrating. Please help.

Thank you,

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

Greetings nyseman and Welcome back to the Forums,

Adobe has certainly had it's share of vulnerabilities...and it seems the version you have installed may already be one that's been exploited. Maybe not, but quirky nonetheless. There are a few suggestions you can consider:

This link will show you exactly which flash player version is currently installed. The latest version is 11.4.402.287, so once you click there look for your installed version next to the flashing red arrow. If it's less than the version listed above, then follow the instuctions there under the Solution section to download the uninstaller for flash player. When you finish, you can return to that web page to confirm that flash player has been removed. Next, install the latest version Here. I would suggest you remove the check from the option box to install McAfee Security Scan Plus before you click the download button. After the download completes, you must close the browser before installing the addon. Then...when you finish with it all, you should once again return to the web page listed above to confirm you indeed NOW have the latest version installed.

One last suggestion. If...when you worked with Gringo, he advised you to install FileHippo's Update checker tool, then I suggest you use that often to look for updates to your installed software. If he hadn't made that suggestion, then please install This Free Utility and get into the habit of checking often to see if your software has been updated.

Now, I said all that to say this...that is, when you install the Adobe Flash Player above, remove the check for update option and use FileHippo's update checker for this purpose. The reason I suggest this is because just as of lately, the flash player update checking feature has had some issues functioning properly in Windows Vista...for whatever reason. I have not as of yet, seen anything on this explained on the adobe web site but I'm sure they're aware of it and are working on it. Even so, Microsoft is in fact aware of it so if the quirk is on their end, it may be quite a while before we see any changes in that regard. Just a hunch...

Anyway, on your next reply let us know how this has helped, if at all. Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#3 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your post. That seemed to do the trick. I should have done that to begin with, but was just in a state of paranoia since the last time my computer was out of commission for a few days! I was wondering if I had to purchase Malwarebytes. Do you know? I thought they had a free version, but now it is tell me my trial period is over. Another question I had for you is what I should do to protect my pc when I go to China next month on business. Any idea? I was told to use a VPN so I can view/unblock certain sites, but will that be enough to protect my machine when I work? Please advise if this is in your purview. Thank you so much!

#4 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your post. That seemed to do the trick.
Good to know...glad to help.

...I was wondering if I had to purchase Malwarebytes. Do you know? I thought they had a free version, but now it is tell me my trial period is over.
No need to purchase MalwareBytes but you certainly can if you so desire. I might add, it's not a bad investment when considering the few bucks for the license vs. time, money and effort spent to bring back an infected PC.

If you choose not to purchase the license though, I can tell you they DO have a free version.

If the nag screen is bothering you regarding the free trial, simply uninstall what you have, download a fresh copy, and during the installation just be certain to remove the check from the option box that authorizes the trial version.

Once you do that, the MBAM utility in only it's free version will be installed, which of course, will be "feature limited". You will just need to remember to run manual updates for it often (as it is updated quite often...even during the course of one day). And you will need to remember to run manual scans rather than being able to automate that particular feature.

Another question I had for you is what I should do to protect my pc when I go to China next month on business. Any idea? I was told to use a VPN so I can view/unblock certain sites, but will that be enough to protect my machine when I work? Please advise if this is in your purview. Thank you so much!

It's unknown (to me) what "enough" means to you. I believe Gringo would have gone over your security setup with you and offered some recommendations at your parting so my first inclination is to advise you to fall back to that thread and bookmark it so you have the information he gave you at hand.

There is a program called "Sandboxie" that would also come in handy for you purposes. It is highly configurable, simple to use and with a friendly interface. Read through the information on that web page and you can see for yourself. Oh...it's also free!

Please tell us on your next reply how the system behaves for you and if you have any other issues/concerns that we can address. Thanks!

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#5 nyseman

nyseman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Hello,

It's been several days now and my system seems to be operating fine. Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions!

#6 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Excellent, glad we could help!

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#7 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

This issue appears resolved and the thread is closed to prevent others from posting here. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users