Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to access Gmail with 2 different email clients

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rocket2247

rocket2247

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

The owner of my company(86years old) has a Gmail account and in our office I have it setup through Outlook 2003. Everything was working fine. He then wanted to be able to get his emails at home and with his new computer having Windows 7, I set his Gmail account up through Mozilla Thunderbird. Both are POP setups. The issue now is that the office location that uses Outlook 2003 no longer is receiving emails and only his home office location with Thunderbird is receiving new emails. Not sure what I can do or if there is a better way to do this. He does not want to access email through the Gmail website. He wants to use a mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook. Id appreciate any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Since he wants his mail in two places and using a client. I would set him up using the IMAP protocol instead of POP3.

More information: Email: Whats the Difference Between POP3, IMAP, and Exchange?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

The problem likely has to do with the fact that the account is set up as a POP account. When using an email client POP will download to a client and DELETE the messages from the server. When deleted from the server they can no longer be retrieved on a different computer.

Gmail will need to be configured as IMAP. To do so, sign in to Gmail. Click the drop down arrow next to the gear on the right side of the page. Choose Settings.

When Settings opens click Forwarding and Pop/Imap.

Disable POP and enable IMAP.

Click Save Changes.

You can then click the link under Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone) for instructions on settings for various email clients so you can change the client settings.

OR if doing the above seems like doing to much work to set it up both Thunderbird and Outlook can be set to Leave a copy messages on the server, which will also allow both clients to download mail. Search the client help files for instructions on where to find this setting within the client.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users