Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can IP address be used to track my web actions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

My question concerns the technique whereby web sites can track one's actions. I have read in a number of articles that one can be tracked by one's IP address. In my case, I receive a different IP address (as seen via http://whatismyipaddress.com/) almost every time when I connect to the Internet (DSL). So with a different IP address, how can I possibly be tracked? That is, if I receive a different IP address every time, how can any web site associate an IP address with me? Is there some concept I am missing?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Your IP address doesnt matter so much , in this case.

Look into a thing called "cookies".

They are files saved to your computer, that associate your web browser to a website. That is what keeps track of your internet activity.

Cookies save information that would fill into a form, if you save a login name and password for a website so you dont have to type it in every time you visit the site -- a cookie is created.

That is how websites "track" you without the use of your IP address.

Further, if you kept the same IP address, but deleted your cookies and erased your computer internet history every time you were to close your web browser, websites could not track you.

Furthermore, malware, or harmful software to you and your equipment, sometimes uses your IP or MAC address to keep track of you, and also will use your internet history and frequently viewed/searched for content via cookies and keyloggers, to track your internet experience and send you pop up ADS that are engineered specifically towards your interest. In most cases, these are bad.

If you dont mind me asking, what perks your interest in this? Do you have pop up ADS or suspect malware to be present because of "tracking" you think is occuring, or is it just for educational purpose?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

More information regarding cookies: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic45333.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for confirming my analysis of the many articles that talk about tracking users via IP address.

As to what perked my interest? Just curiosity.

Thanks again.

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hi :)

Basically no. An ip address just gives a general geographical location on where you are by determining which ISP you are registered with. You could be miles from the ISP. That's all it does. Cookies however can track your browsing habits and collect information based on your habits. Advertising sites do this as well as some online shopping sites to give recommendations on products or services you might like. Once you delete the cookies then that information is lost. However, the website can record you IP information in the cookies that could be reported and saved in their logs. The IP itself does not do anything, but combined with a cookie they could track your habits. If you use Firefox here's a couple recommendations. :)

Better Privacy

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

Remove or manage a new and uncommon kind of cookies, better known as LSO's.The BetterPrivacy safeguard offers various ways to handle Flash-cookies set by Google, YouTube, Ebay and others...

Ghostery

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/?src=search

Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing and block them with Ghostery.

Collusion

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/collusion/?src=search

Visualize who's tracking you in real time. To get started, click on the Collusion icon in the bottom-right corner of your browser. (You may need to show the Add-on Bar to see the icon.)

Note that Collusion is more of an advanced tool which is why I placed it last.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Those are pretty sweet ;P
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users