Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC keeps rebooting itself?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jinxx

Jinxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hi there,

I'm hoping for some help since this is driving me nuts.

For a couple of weeks my PC has randomly been shutting down and rebooting itself, usually rebooting over and over. I know this can be caused by a lot of things but there are a few things I think I can rule out. I don't think it is a software issue, as there is no error message or blue screen, no new software has been installed recently, and this PC has never been used on the internet so there should be no virus or malware. I also tried a system restore to no effect.

The problem is random and intermittent, sometimes the system will stay on happily for an hour, other times I can't even get it to boot because it just restarts over and over. However, most frequently it automatically restarts after about fifteen minutes of use.

I have tried replacing the PSU (which I initially thought must be the problem as the behaviour was identical to an issue I had a year ago and replacing the PSU solved it - that didn't work this time), changing the battery on the motherboard (also didn't work), and running a disk check (it wasn't able to complete it as it shut down in the process, but it got most of the way through and did not seem to find any errors up to that point).

I'm not sure what to try next. I don't mind if I have to replace some part of my system but I don't want to replace the whole thing and I'm not sure how to find out where the problem originates. Can anyone suggest anything?

System specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
8GB DDR2 RAM
500GB SATA HD
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Go into the Advance Boot Options and select Disable automatic restart at system failure.

You can access the Advance Boot Options by tapping the F8 key repeatedly immediately after pressing the power button. You should eventually see a screen similar to the one below.

Posted Image

Once this is done you may get a BOSD, if this occurs please post the error code at the top of the page.

Edited by dc3, 08 October 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users