Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startorder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skalis1

Skalis1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

Hallo!
How to change the startorder of programs at startup/boot.
( I do not mean the BIOS) Use XP servp3.
Need to start a program before a specific one starts.
Actually the Tclockex.exe needs to be started before the ZoenAlarm+antivirus starts as a server.
(Donīt mix the Tclockex.exe with the Tclock.exe!)
I edited the registry, it didnīt help. The regedit32.ex lines up the programs in alfabetic order.
Apreciate any tip about this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

There are a few ways you can do this. There's a very handy free app called Startup Delayer that does exactly what you're asking for. What it does is add itself to the startup list in place of those startup entries that you tell it to manage for you. Then, when Startup Delayer runs at startup, it starts the programs you specify and in the order you specify.

Alternatively, you could write a very simple Windows batch file to run each executable in turn. You would place the batch file in the startups and remove the old entries, e.g.:

echo "Launching program one..."
start /B C:\Prog1\prog1.exe
echo "Launching program two..."
start /B C:\Prog2\prog2.exe

Edited by Andrew, 08 October 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#3 Skalis1

Skalis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thank You Andrew!
Imagine I do not want/like to write a batch file. ( I have written hundreds of them at the DOS time, before Windows was born....)
Somewhere there must be a list of the services and the other programs wich starts up, I mean after the BIOS finished its job.
The ZoneAlarm+antivirus starts as a server so, it goes on for that reason before other programs. Thats the problem. The other problem is, even though I told both antivirus and the firewall the fact the Tclockex.exe is not a virus, its legal, the firewall doesnt care.

There must be somewhere in the registry a place where windows picks up the serveces and the programs to start. One place I found has all off them but they are listed in alfabetic order. But when windows reads the list there is an other order. That is what I would like to change. But how?
Iīm rather good to edit the registry but this issu is to hard for me.
If anyone got a other idea or solution, pleas write.
Thanks

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

There is a tool from Microsoft called Autoruns which lists all startups (including critical ones so be careful) and organizes them according to what sort of startup they are. However the specific order in which these are executed are not user-definable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users