Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

media PC RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

So I'm building a media PC using mostly old components and I have 2 options for ram. This is not going to be a heavy use machine running games or anything intense. Multi-tasking will also be at a minimum using xbmc software.

I have 2x 1 GB sticks of crucial gaming RAM dual channel, heat shields attached, extremely low latencies something like 6,6,6,20 or 22

or 1x stick of crucial 2gb budget ram very high latency 11,11,11,24 or 26 and one stick of the 1 GB crucial ballistex from above

specs are approximate because I don't want to go downstairs and ground my self and all that to look up the actual specs lol but I know I am in the ball park. I know they are the same clock rate as well. The ballistex was extremely fast and the budget ram was very slow. In concept is it better to go with a higher amount of available memory and slower access times. Or less memory with fast access times. I apologize for my laziness :P

Edited by attak sekwence, 08 October 2012 - 02:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

I f this computer is capable of running the RAM in dual channel I would go with the matched pair. Running in dual channel reduces some of the bottleneck between the RAM and the CPU.

Edit: The reason that I suggested the matched pair is because the RAM being used in dual channel will perform at its optimum when the module are matched.

It would help to know the make and model of the motherboard. It would also help if we knew what operating system you will be using.Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 08 October 2012 - 08:48 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157274

thats the motherboard

dual channel is supported

crucial ballistex ram was listed as 4-4-4-12

crucial value ram 11-11-11-24

OS to be determined, it may be XP running xmbc on top of it
or it could be linux not sure which distro i will choose yet as there are many media PC oriented flavors like geexbox, an xmbc operating system and quite a few others and they vary from what base distro they are built off of (ubuntu, kubuntu, fedora, opensuse, and red hat are some of the common options I've seen)

I think I'll go with the ballistex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users