Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Done the Obvious and My Computer is Still Slow...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

So, my computer runs a little slow now. The odd thing is, when I pull up the task manager, my resources are hardly being used at all (for both CPU and Memory) half the time and yet start up is forever and as it's running it's really slow. I've tried all the obvious things already.

Hardware:

• Checked heatsink gel/paste on CPU/cooling grid.
  • Cleaned out all dust.
  • Double checked all connections.
Software:
  • Ran disk clean-up and defragment.
  • Properly* ran full scans with avast! Free and Malwarebytes.
  • Un-installed unused programs.
  • Removed unnecessary start-up items (services.msc, start up options, etc).
  • Checked for Windows Updates and driver updates.
  • Manually deleted old and unnecessary files.

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. It's as though my computer, in most cases, absolutely refuses to use all of its resources.

Computer Information

• Computer: Gateway DX4300-03 (desktop)
  • Processor: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.40 GHz
  • RAM: 8 GB (7.75 GB usable)
  • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 (1 GB dedicated RAM)
  • HDD: Hitachi ATA 1 TB (internal), Seagate Expansion 1 TB (external)
  • Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio (ALC888S)

*What I mean by this is a clarification that I do know that you should only ever to done virus scan at a time. Before running a scan, I turn of absolutely all other antivirus/anti-malware programs.

Edited by Sardonicus, 07 October 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Kyle Sardonicus Amadeus Stanfield
Writer, Philosopher, Composer/Musician, Artist
Comprehensive Psychology Major, Troy University
www.impetus-aesthetica.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Could mean that something isn't working. Eg one RAM stick is dead but the other still works. Run memtest and see what happens.

http://www.memtest.org/

#3 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

Could mean that something isn't working. Eg one RAM stick is dead but the other still works. Run memtest and see what happens.

http://www.memtest.org/

Well, that found no issues.

Oh something else that may or may not be relevant. A while back, when my Seagate External 1TB HDD inevitably went to sleep, my whole computer would run slower even if whatever program I was using had nothing to do with it. If I attempted to save something to it from a program, that program would and/or crash unless I accessed the HDD through Windows Explorer. After clicking on the drive, a few seconds would pass and you could hear it start up. If my computer ran even slower than normal, usually it was because that drive went to sleep (though nothing requires it to be awake, as far as I know). I've since downloaded "Seagate Drive Settings" and changed it to never sleep.

Edited by Sardonicus, 08 October 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option. in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.

http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip

#5 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe

The Result:

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option. in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.

http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip

The Result:

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Download Adware Cleaner run it as admin Click the delete button allow it to run and Attach do not copy and paste the log it creates.

http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

Untick Ipv6 here are instrcutions.

Hit start
Control Panel
NetWork & Sharing Center
Manage Network Connections
Right Click Your Connection
Select Properties
Un-Check Ipv6
Select ok

Run the Fix it below this will disable the tunnel adapters on your machine.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9728872

Hit the start button and type services.msc scroll down to the dns client service right click it and select properties then change the startup type to disabled.Then stop the service.

Open an elevated command prompt then copy and paste the following one at a time hitting enter after each.

cd C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

takeown /a /f hosts

cacls hosts /p everyone:f

Reply Y Then copy and paste the text below hitting enter after.

attrib -s -h -r hosts

Close the command prompt window.

Go here and run the fix it for the hosts file,as admin.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

After the fix it runs then reboot,the hosts file should be restored to original

Post a fresh minitool box log after this and I will respond further.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Let's start at the beginning please. EXACTLY what is slow? Please describe the exact symptoms your system is experiencing.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Open Autruns and untick the items below.

+ "\Adobe Flash Player Updater" "Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.4 r402" "Adobe Systems Incorporated"

"c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash\flashplayerupdateservice.exe"

+ "\Apple\AppleSoftwareUpdate" "Apple Software Update" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files (x86)\apple software update\softwareupdate.exe"

+ "\At1" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\getmmac.exe"

+ "\At2" "" "" "File not found: del"

+ "\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\program files (x86)\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\program files (x86)\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "\GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2748344943-834764238-2588578359-1001Core" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\users\kyle

stanfield\appdata\local\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "\GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2748344943-834764238-2588578359-1001UA" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\users\kyle

stanfield\appdata\local\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "\MHotkey" "Multimedia Keyboard Driver" "" "c:\windows\mhotkey.exe"

+ "\Microsoft\Windows Live\SOXE\Extractor Definitions Update Task" "Windows Live Social Object Extractor Engine" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program

files (x86)\windows live\soxe\wlsoxe.dll"

+ "\Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\gathernetworkinfo.vbs"

+ "\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Media Sharing\UpdateLibrary" "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application" "Microsoft

Corporation" "c:\program files\windows media player\wmpnscfg.exe"

+ "\NCH Software\pixillionShakeIcon" "Pixillion Image Converter" "NCH Software" "c:\program files (x86)\nch software\pixillion\pixillion.exe"

+ "\{2AF68F9F-B19A-4948-8AA4-2FD19F722E27}" "" "" "c:\users\kyle"

+ "\{3200D23E-5273-4E18-89C1-1638C9941AA3}" "" "" "c:\program files (x86)\neuratron audioscore ultimate demo\audioscore spawner.exe"

+ "\{60F01E8E-3C7C-4AA2-8D6D-205391A91E93}" "" "" "File not found: K:\miscelaneous programs\The Metal Foundry\The Metal Foundry - Disc

1\Superior2 Sound Installer.exe"

+ "\{69A0345E-5CFE-4C9E-925B-B5E252BA73C4}" "Firefox" "Mozilla Corporation" "c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe"

+ "\{721AAF19-A296-4C00-A1D3-4B5D0ADC2F84}" "" "" "File not found: C:\Nexon\MapleStory\GameLauncher.exe"

+ "\{7C92DE40-7C78-42EC-9A94-2F047271A3A7}" "CPC CaptionMaker Application" "Computer Prompting & Captioning Co." "c:\program files

(x86)\cpc\captionmaker\capmaker.exe"

+ "\{81388A4D-8F0F-4ACD-9496-595429F93E74}" "" "" "File not found: C:\Nexon\MapleStory\MapleStory.exe"

+ "\{8975042B-F623-4160-8EE9-CF65D50A6220}" "Skype " "Skype Technologies S.A." "c:\program files (x86)\skype\phone\skype.exe"

+ "\{8BCB16A5-8C7D-4F38-80A7-6E2EBE8F4375}" "" "" "c:\program files (x86)\neuratron audioscore ultimate demo\audioscore spawner.exe"

+ "\{9D83747E-4DB9-4907-AB0C-11055D16CFB6}" "" "" "File not found: K:\uTorrent Downloads\East West Quantum Leap - Voices of The

Apocalypse\MapleVMCv356.exe"

+ "\{BEAD23B1-C7D6-4C09-8625-21CCB4024ACA}" "" "" "File not found: M:\Superior2 Sound Installer.exe"

+ "\{C0331903-DEC8-43A2-82B2-0834B42665E8}" "" "" "File not found: M:\Superior2 Sound Installer.exe"

+ "\{CD9FED5C-6B82-4770-8F50-8AA8B5DB7038}" "" "" "File not found: K:\uTorrent Downloads\Horse\Daz3D - ps_tx627 - Millennium Horse Texture Pack

1.exe"

+ "\{E6616D4F-0B79-40F3-A0AA-B1DC72D33498}" "" "" "File not found: M:\Superior2 Sound Installer.exe"

+ "\{EBEE6697-D2B1-4E2C-B890-FC9BA1EBBA1B}" "Kontakt 4" "Native Instruments GmbH" "c:\program files (x86)\native instruments\kontakt 4\kontakt

4.exe"

+ "\{F4D2D95A-7E64-4AD4-9124-922BD5D6304D}" "" "" "File not found: M:\Superior2 Sound Installer.exe"

+ "gupdate" "Keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning

security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This service uninstalls itself when there is no Google software using it."

"Google Inc." "c:\program files (x86)\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "gupdatem" "Keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning

security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This service uninstalls itself when there is no Google software using it."

"Google Inc." "c:\program files (x86)\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

+ "MozillaMaintenance" "The Mozilla Maintenance Service ensures that you have the latest and most secure version of Mozilla Firefox on your computer.

Keeping Firefox up to date is very important for your online security, and Mozilla strongly recommends that you keep this service enabled." "Mozilla

Foundation" "c:\program files (x86)\mozilla maintenance service\maintenanceservice.exe"

+ "SkypeUpdate" "Enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Skype." "Skype Technologies" "c:\program files

(x86)\skype\updater\updater.exe"

+ "catchme" "" "" "File not found: C:\ComboFix\catchme.sys"

+ "cpuz132" "" "" "File not found: C:\Users\KYLEST~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cpuz132\cpuz132_x64.sys"

+ "LVPr2M64" "" "" "File not found: system32\DRIVERS\LVPr2M64.sys"

+ "WPRO_40_1340" "" "" "File not found: system32\drivers\WPRO_40_1340.sys"

+ "{09BB444F-B2E2-4009-BAF2-7B727681223E}" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMLaunch\BuddyVM.sys"

+ "msacm.mpegacm" "" "" "File not found: mpegacm.acm"

+ "msacm.ulmp3acm" "" "" "File not found: ulmp3acm.acm"

+ "ffdshow Audio Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"

+ "ffdshow Audio Processor" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"

+ "ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"

+ "ffdshow raw video filter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"

+ "ffdshow subtitles filter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"

+ "ffdshow Video Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"

+ "Haali Matroska Muxer" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\splitter.x64.ax"

+ "Haali Media Splitter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\splitter.x64.ax"

+ "Haali Media Splitter (AR)" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\splitter.x64.ax"

+ "Haali Simple Media Splitter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\splitter.x64.ax"

+ "Haali Video Renderer" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\dxr.x64.dll"

+ "LAV Audio Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\LAVAudio.ax"

+ "LAV Splitter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\LAVSplitter.ax"

+ "LAV Splitter Source" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\LAVSplitter.ax"

+ "LAV Video Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\LAVVideo.ax"

+ "MPC - CDXA Reader" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\cdxareader.ax"

+ "MPC Flv Source" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\FLVSplitter.ax"

+ "MPC Flv Splitter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\FLVSplitter.ax"

Now reboot your machine.

Download TFC.exe right click run it as admin allow it to reboot your machine tell me if things have improved.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/dl/92/

#9 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Let's start at the beginning please. EXACTLY what is slow? Please describe the exact symptoms your system is experiencing.

The computer, in general, is slow with everything. Start-up is extremely slow, all programs start up and run slower, saving/rendering things is slower... everything is slower.

Download Adware Cleaner run it as admin Click the delete button allow it to run and Attach do not copy and paste the log it creates.

Result:

Untick Ipv6 here are instrcutions.

Run the Fix it below this will disable the tunnel adapters on your machine.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9728872

Done. Computer is already beginning to run noticeably faster at this point, especially initial Windows start up.

Hit the start button and type services.msc scroll down to the dns client service right click it and select properties then change the startup type to disabled. Then stop the service.

Open an elevated command prompt then copy and paste the following one at a time hitting enter after each.

Done.

Go here and run the fix it for the hosts file,as admin.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Post a fresh minitool box log after this and I will respond further.

New MINITOOL Log:

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

The minitoolbox log looks good you have done all that I have suggested thanks for following directions. :thumbup2:

Ok set your dns to open dns
http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

Here are instructions
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001161.htm

After you change the dns

Open Elevated Command Prompt Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.Now type or copy and paste the commands below one at a time hitting enter after each.

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Reboot your machine.Let me know when you have un-ticked the items in Autoruns by posting a fresh log please.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 08 October 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Done. Computer is already beginning to run noticeably faster at this point, especially initial Windows start up.

:thumbup2:

There is still more to be done. :)

#12 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Open Autruns and untick the items below...

[All Successful Except The Following]

• + "\At1" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\getmmac.exe"
  • + "\At2" "" "" "File not found: del"
    "Error changing item state."
  • + "ffdshow Audio Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\ffdshow.ax"
  • + "LAV Audio Decoder" "" "" "File not found: C:\Windows\system32\LAVAudio.ax"
    Autoruns stops responding when attempting to un-check these entries. Three attempts have been made with the same result. However, two entries each of these exist, one of which did un-check in both cases. Initially, there is only one when the first attempt to un-check is made.

Download TFC.exe right click run it as admin allow it to reboot your machine tell me if things have improved.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/dl/92/

Computer does seem to have improved in speed significantly thus-far.

Continuing to the next step (the DNS stuff).

#13 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Ok nevermind the items in autoruns. :thumbup2:

Do the last 4 steps in order from top to bottom please.

Disable windows Defender it is crapware.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Defender-on-or-off

Download the junkware removal tool save it to your desktop run it as admin.
http://thisisudax.org/downloads/JRT.exe

Disable Avast prior to running this scan.
Run a scan with Eset.
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Make sure that remove found threats is ticked also scan archives it tikced
When the scan is finished list found threats save to clipboard copy to notepad Post the log here.

Download the All in one Repair Tool Run the program vista/win 7 users please right click and run as admin. Go to step 4 and create a backup of your registry this tool involves changing registry keys and it is just a good idea to bak it up.Now go to the start repairs tab and run it with the following boxes checked.When running this tool disable your antivirus.

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAV/MS Jet
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair MSI (Windows Installer)

Reboot your machine a couple of times after the all in one repair tool.

Enjoy your now faster machine. :thumbup2:

#14 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

When you get a chance Sardonicus I would like to know the final outcome. :thumbup2:

#15 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

When you get a chance Sardonicus I would like to know the final outcome. :thumbup2:

Oh yes, the ESET scan is still running. It's nearly finished after 6 hours... my 1TB HDD is over half used (602 GB out of 931).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users