Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus which deletes folders in Program Files directory

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pjcard

pjcard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi, I work in a computer repair shop, and I've recently had two computers come in separately with the same very odd problem. What appears to have happened is that something has deleted most (but not all) of the folders within the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories. A secondary symptom is that the start menu is also almost or completely empty. Files remain associated with the removed programs, and they appear to have been simply deleted rather than uninstalled. When the first machine came in I thought perhaps this was user error, but having seen a second identical but unrelated instance that now seems unlikely. The second user said it occurred around the time she was installing Norton 360 (in fact, the disk was still in her drive). I've checked in both cases and:
- The hard drives were healthy
- The folders were deleted, not hidden.

Anyone heard of a virus being the cause of something like this? I've done some extensive googling, and found a few people mentioning similar symptoms as far back as 2002, but no explanations.

Edited by pjcard, 07 October 2012 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users