Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quick question about OS's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

is there a set limit to how many fresh OS installs you can perform off of a set of OS disks on the same machine/ on one machine at a time? does it vary on each distribution of windows?

i have about 4 different windows XP distros, one windows vista, and one windows 7. I have heard that you are only allowed to install an OS a set number of times even if it is on just one computer is that true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

This is a multipart answer.

The number of allowed installs varies based on the EULA. For system builder/OEM versions of Windows, it is one product key per PC. For the EULA, Microsoft defines a PC based on the motherboard, new motherboard, new PC. However, this doesn't mean you cannot reuse the discs themselves. You can buy a product key from Microsoft and reuse the disc to install on another system, you just put in the new key instead of the old one. Volume licenses may be a bit different.

As for how many copies of Windows you can have, there is no limit. They all have to be fully licensed, though. If you have a bunch of different versions, you can have those, they just need to be licensed.

In other words, you can have as many copies and versions of Windows on one machine as you like, they have to be legal, fully licensed copies with valid product keys.

3939.png

#3 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

ok I think i understand it to be specific what I am concerned with is my laptop it was an hp refurb that came with windows 7 out of the box. So that means it is a retail version right? I was playing around with linux and when I wasn't sure what I was doing I damaged part of the windows boot loader or some sort of file that windows needed to successfully boot. So I had to reload windows. Now im looking to install a bigger hard drive, so i need to do another fresh install.
so no mother board change it still recognizes it as the same PC so i may reload my one windows 7 product key/ license for this computer as many times as I like right?

my vista machine and XP machine are absolutely fine as is I was more inquiring for future if I had to do fresh installs.

but the EULA has remained the same for all versions of windows (xp , vista, 7) in regards to you may reload one license per PC/motherboard as many times as you like without there being a usage cap before they force you to buy another license because you installed it too many times even though it was the same machine and set up?

all these OS's are on separate machines the only dual booting i do is with linux not with other distros of windows (dual booting win 7 and XP for example I do not bother with)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Anything that is preinstalled or comes in a system builder or OEM packaging, is an OEM version and uses the EULA for that version. If you uninstall a version of Windows, you can still reintall it on the same PC, though, you may have to do a telephone activation. This is allowed on all versions of Windows, OEM or retail. A full, boxed, retail version of version may be "moved" from one PC to another. Out of curiousity, why do you have so many copies of Windows running on one machine?

3939.png

#5 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

not all on one machine
windows 7, ubuntu 12.04- hp pavillion dv7 my main laptop

ubuntu 12.04, mint 13- dell inspiron e 1405, loaded with linux to give it new life and save it from its confinement in a closet used for programming and basic home use

windows vista, ubuntu 12.04, fedora 17, mint 12, mint 13, geexbox, and whatever other linux distros I test out- custom mild OC'd desktop mostly gaming and linux test platform (this is the machine that gets to eat up all my old hard drives that I wouldn't even bother RAIDing, IDE's, low capacity SATA1's and the like so its great for doing a permanent install of a bunch of different distros to play with)

1 XP license- dell optiplex GTX not sure on the model but old buisness computer right now just being used as a printer server

3x XP licenses- unused one may go to the media PC that's under construction

I confused you with my wording I think. I would never put that many god awful OS's on a single machine lol. What I meant was may you reuse one license as many times you like on a single machine. For example If I got myself a nasty virus every other week on my windows 7 hp laptop, without making hardware changes, would I be able to freely reload my single windows 7 license on it as many times as I like without there being a usage cap. I believe the rumor I heard was 3 installs per license.

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

As long as you have a license for any non-free OS, you can have as many as you want until you run out of disk space.

If I went and looked for all the operating systems I could run on my computer right now, it would be an interesting list...

Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Ubuntu 12.04
Ubuntu 12.10 beta
Windows 8 Professional
Linux Mint 13

On top of that, I have installation files/disks for about a dozen linux distros, all Windows 7/Vista/XP versions and service packs.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users