Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet significantly slower on new PC than other devices

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sanveann

Sanveann

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hello -- I hope I chose the right forum, because the truth is, I have no idea where the problem lies! But I suspect it's a hardware issue.

I just got a new computer yesterday -- Acer Predator G3620, running Windows 7 Home Premium. It's working beautifully, except that the Internet is significantly slower than other devices in the house. Speed tests show 3-5 Mbps, whereas all other devices (iPhone, iPad, my husband's ancient PC) are showing 12 Mbps.

I called Acer, who suggested I do a system recovery. I told them that the computer was doing this right out of the box, so I really didn't think that was the issue. The guy then told me, "Well, you can connect to the internet, so the computer is working." I told him I didn't think getting speeds two to four times slower than other devices were getting really constituted "working." He then suggested I call their pay-for-help technical support line, which I declined :P

So, I tried updating the wireless adapter driver. No real luck there. Any other suggestions from you wise folks? :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

http://www.mytechguide.org/94/increase-the-number-of-server-connections-to-speedup-internet-explorer/

#3 Sanveann

Sanveann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks, Dolby. I'm actually having this problem using Chrome as well, so I don' think it's necessarily an IE thing.

#4 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Before you create the new keys they instruct, look to see if they already exist, so then if they do, all you have to do is change the values.

#5 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I did it & my speed increased in all browsers, Comodo Dragon (chrome based), & Ice Dragon (mozilla based). I don't think this registry thing is limited to IE, I believe it's a "machine" thing. Besides, all I use IE for is Microsoft updates. Good luck.

#6 Sanveann

Sanveann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

OK, gave it a whirl. Sadly, no noticeable difference.

#7 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know of any other things to do - oh yeah, did you reboot, you're supposed to reboot.

#8 Sanveann

Sanveann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yup, rebooted.

#9 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

it must have to do with the wireless router setup, of which I know nothing about. I have 1 Brighthouse coaxial cable, (internet only - no cable tv, or phone),to 1 modem, to 1 computer - as simple & safe as a connection gets.

#10 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm sure one of the moderators will get to you eventually (there's a lot of calls to answer on this site), so hang in there & keep checking back.

#11 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

Also, when you get to the "Internet Settings" part in the registry tree, you have to click on the word "Registry Settings" itself, & NOT the little "+" in the box, next to it, then look for those 2 keys in that list to see if they are there, & if not, create them, if thy are, just change the value.

#12 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'll check back on this post later, gotta go

#13 Sanveann

Sanveann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks, Dolby! I'm sure I put the edits in the right place, so perhaps something else is the issue.

I do notice that if I'm doing a major download (was just trying to download a game on Steam), it doesn't let me access any Web pages -- the Internet is clearly working (the game is downloading, albeit slowly), but I have to stop the download in order to access any sites.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

What basis are you using to determinine your decreased speed? Please download MiniToolbox and save it to your desktop. Run the program and paste the results in your next reply. Also go to SpeedTest.Net and post the results.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 October 2012 - 02:38 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 Sanveann

Sanveann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi, Chad ... can still connect to the Internet, but at this point it's choking along so slowly that I can't even get Speedtest.net to load. However, trying to download the MiniToolBox right now and it says that the 734K file will take me one hour (!) to download. Speedtest on my phone, for comparison, gives me a rate of 7.33 Mbps download and 4.84 Mbps upload right now.

We did try using a cable last night, which solved the problem (Speedtest gave us 35 Mpbs!) but unfortunately isn't a real solution for us, as I don't care to have one running across our living room (and the baby would most certainly try to unplug it)!

My husband plans to get a new network adapter today and see if that solves the problem.

Hi, Chad ... can still connect to the Internet, but at this point it's choking along so slowly that I can't even get Speedtest.net to load. However, trying to download the MiniToolBox right now and it says that the 734K file will take me one hour (!) to download. Speedtest on my phone, for comparison, gives me a rate of 7.33 Mbps download and 4.84 Mbps upload right now.

We did try using a cable last night, which solved the problem (Speedtest gave us 35 Mpbs!) but unfortunately isn't a real solution for us, as I don't care to have one running across our living room (and the baby would most certainly try to unplug it)!

My husband plans to get a new network adapter today and see if that solves the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users