Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer only starts in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rayden4

Rayden4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Sorry my first post is asking for help.

I have an ASUS laptop, yesterday i left it alone for a few hours and i came back to a message saying "reselect boot device" i was able to get past that, im not sure how but i did. Now today if i try to run my laptop in regular start up it freezes about 5 minutes later and then goes to blue screen. I can run my laptop in safe mode and safe mode with networking fine. I do not have any restore points (wasnt aware that windows 7 didnt automatically create restore points) so i cant restore back to a previous version.

I can get a boot log and a cbs log if that will help.

I dont know if its a hardware problem (i dropped my laptop two days ago about a foot and a half and it landed flat, no dents or anything. it worked fine after that) or if its a virus problem. I recently downloaded a new album (same day i dropped my laptop) but it worked fine after that as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

1) Nothing to be sorry about - this is a support forum - your first post is supposed be a request for help.

2) W7 DOES create restore points automatically, just like every other Windows version.

3) I've never heard of that message before ("reselect boot device"). You saw that within the Windows environment?

4) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Edited by Allan, 07 October 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#3 Rayden4

Rayden4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've tried to run Blue Screen View however it doesnt turn up any results. I tried to run it again in normal mode and continue to get the blue screen. Not sure why its not being found by the viewers. The code i get on blue screen is 0x000000F4 if that helps any.

#4 Rayden4

Rayden4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

I seem to have fixed the problem. I tried uninstalling Norton thinking that might be the problem (i read something about that giving people problems) and its been quite some time without my laptop freezing and crashing.

#5 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Norton is not an antivirus I would be with. AVG Trend etc they are fine but norton I don't trust. Due to it back in the day making viruses instead of getting rid of them.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Norton is not an antivirus I would be with. AVG Trend etc they are fine but norton I don't trust. Due to it back in the day making viruses instead of getting rid of them.

Utter nonsense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users