Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deciding on which laptop - down to 2. Thanks!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tc031086

tc031086

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

font="Arial"][/font]

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new laptop and I need something really inexpensive, like $300 or less but I may be able to push it to $400 out the door for an incredibly good buy.

I specifically want new or manufacturer refurbished as I just don't trust used or seller refurbished even for $300.

I want somethng that will be as fast and efficient as possible for the money.

I use my computer daily for word proccessing, the internet and a fair bit of music/video streaming. I do not game at all.

My laptop does not travel much but rather I use it more like a desktop. (But no, I don't want a desktop so I CAN take it with me if I need to)

I am open to any computer and I have no real preferences so if anyone has any ideas, I'm open.

I've done quite a bit of research and these two seem to be the best deals I can find in my limited price range. I used many sources, not just ebay, so it was just a jynx I found them both there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-AS7551...n-/120993707340?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion...12808108?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item51a226e1ac

So the big question for me is: which is the better buy?

I would love to have the Blu-Ray and Bluetooth that comes with the HP however the CPU seems so much weaker than the Acer. I'm only basing this thought off the research I've done on my own, CPU benchmark ratings and computer reviews, so I need the opinion of someone who really knows what they are looking at.

Basically, if I get the HP does anyone think I'm giving up a lot of speed and multi-tasking ability by sacraficing the CPU or will it probably not be that noteable of a difference to matter?

And because of rather rude and unhelpful comments in other forums, I'll throw it out there now that I'm not "deluded" as to exactly how good a computer will be at this price point but I am looking for the best deal I can get for the money anyway...which seems like common sense to me, but hey maybe I'm crazy.

Since my first laptop in high school, 10 years ago, every laptop I've owned has been brand new, semi-custom and cost between $1200-$1500+ and they only last me 2-3 years. So when I say longevity, I mean for it to last no more than a year maybe two. And with this low of a price, I don't really care about a warranty.

I've owned HP, Dell, Toshiba, and Compaq but never an Acer, so I'm really not sure of their quality and functioning in comparison to other top brands.

What I'm most concerned with is that the computer doesn't start running slower than molasses like 3 months in.

Any suggestions or insight anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated and valued.

Thank you you in advance for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm afraid you will have to redo the link for the HP as it isn't doing anything useful. It takes me to a page with HP parts and not a laptop.
If it is a BluRay burner then I'd be leaning towards it, If it is only a BluRay reader.............
However without seeing specs?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tc031086

tc031086
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Adter much debate and imput from various sources, I've gone with the HP. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users