Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you recommend a slideshow program?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arcticsid

Arcticsid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hello, and thanks for including me in your forum.

I live in Alaska, and I take lots of photos to send "home". Sending them through email works fine, but I am limited to 25MB of attachments. I use ultra resizer but it reduces the size so that the recipient couldnt print them effectively)

But thats not what I posted for.

When emailing photos, the only way I can include a description of the photo itself is through the file name, or to try and enter additional text in the body of the message. Remember in the old days, we would stuff some photos into an envelope and write on the bac? (This is Gramps on 4th of jully, with his new boat, etc>)

All online newspapers have photo galleries, and as you scroll through them, there is always a place where they describe it.

This is what I want to do, as opposed to sending a "stack" of photos, with no description.

Can you recommend any software, or online service, where I can accomplish this. I hope you know what I am after. These are just personal photos, and would not be opposed to having them in the public domain. I hate FACEBOOK, don't suggest that! LOL

I appreciat any suggestions you may be able to offer. Thanks in advance

Sid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Have you tried googling ? In a post further down the forum there is a reference to Foto Tagger which is along the lines you described. Even if that is not exactly what you are after, there must be similar apps.

More complicated methods include creating a pdf or web page document to link to the images. The comments would appear on the document, not the photos. Personally I would write a simple html page to go with the pics but some knowledge of html is required. Many image editors can create html pages which you can further edit to incorporate comments.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

You can also try using google plus for uploading and sharing your photos. http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1047374

Tekken

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Having looked into it further, the simplest method would be to use an online service, providing you don't mind your photos being on someone's server. All the methods I've thought of for sending the slideshow with the pics via email have problems, mostly because you need some sort of slideshow engine. Most graphic editors can make a standalone exe slideshow that also displays image comments. Those may be seen by email servers as potentially malicious. The images are usually embedded so cannot be easily printed. By going online, someone is providing the mechanics for you.

#5 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

You can right click on each photo and edit the metadata, so a description can be placed there.

#6 graphicsman

graphicsman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

something that would seem an easier solution is using Google's Drive. You get 5gb of space for free and can share certain elements with people. It would be a lot easier that way in my opinion. Here is a link

OR even go with dropbox.

Edited by graphicsman, 15 October 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#7 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

alot of image hosting sites such as photobucket have a slide show option. YOu can put the pictures together and enable them in an email. As long as you are hosting the images through a web site the actual size shouldnt matter. the only thing that you will be transmitting in the email is a line of code, which is a mere couple kilobytes.

#8 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

there are lots photosharing sites like flickr, photobucket or picnic. You can save the file without resizing the photo.

I preferred to use Google drive. SAVE & SHARE!

#9 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

MS usually includes PowerPoint as part of the Office suite of programs. PowerPoint can be used for many creative and practical applications. It might seem complicated at first but it is a fun program to experiment with. When you format your slides you can add, edit and arrange several photos and add descriptive text.

Just for curiosity I formatted 3 slides in PowerPoint and then clicked 'File' - 'Save As JPEG file'. Then I emailed them as attachments to myself and surprisingly this experiment worked. The files could be viewed, played as a slide show, downloaded and printed as with any .jpg attachment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users