Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mini usbcables

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nukeemc

nukeemc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

I have a bunch of cables for connecting devices to my computer. Readers, cameras, etc.
Are they generic and interchangeable, or are they specifically for the device it came with?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi
That sort of depends. If they plug into the computer at a USB port and the other end fits the device, then as a general rule they can be considered the same.

Any device that uses a proprietary connector all bets are off.

External Hard drives for example are all standard A to B or A to mini USB or A to Micro USB. And thus are interchangeable, Cameras ??

Some information here

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 nukeemc

nukeemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Got it. Thanks

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi
That sort of depends. If they plug into the computer at a USB port and the other end fits the device, then as a general rule they can be considered the same.

Any device that uses a proprietary connector all bets are off.

External Hard drives for example are all standard A to B or A to mini USB or A to Micro USB. And thus are interchangeable, Cameras ??

Some information here

Cheers
Roger

Some devices require an OTG adapter even though the mini-port looks the same. I believe there's a wiring difference, it has to do with the 5v power.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

If they don't make it special how can they charge extra.

Sort of like back in the 80s Radio Shack Printers needed a Radio Shack Printer cable to reverse the change Radio Shack made in the parallel port in the printer.
They saved money by using standard connectors and then changing a couple of wires around.

Regards
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users