Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi Fi Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cnshook

cnshook

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

I just bought a Kindle Fire HD and was wondering if there is any alternative for getting a Wi Fi connection in places where there is no signal. It seems like I saw a commercial some time ago that was offering a mobile Wi Fi Router that you take with you, maybe I'm just dreaming. Help PLEASE!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Several companies offer 3G/4G hotspots. Some or all have rechargeable batteries that let you run for awhile without having a power connection.

Prices are going to vary. Unlimited is more expensive, of course. Some offer more data traffic on 4G than on 3G. But that could be partly because they have better coverage on one over the other. Or maybe it's more expensive to run one than the other. Usually they'll tell you it's one level for 4G and another for 3G on the same plan. That's because you may end up in areas where 4G doesn't work well or at all. There's a lot of that going around.

I just bought one myself. I'm looking at hooking it up in my truck for mobile wifi (if I can ever get the damned thing to activate). It was a Virgin Mobile model. Since I'm just testing this right now, I'm going with a low data plan. It's pay-as-you-go, so I can drop it if it doesn't work out (most of the others require you sign up for a dedicated plan for a couple of years). But it's also on Sprint. If you don't know, Sprint coverage is great where they have it except it's spotty, A lot of spots are terrible and a lot of others just drop out. But it's wonderful if you aren't in those spots. And if you in metropolitan areas or near major highways.

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

Finally got mine activated. I had to do it on the son's Windows machine (I use linux, and it wouldn't get the necessary popup to activate that was needed). Even then, it took 4 tries because it kept timing out and hanging during the activation stage. Probably because it does the activation in 3G, and only goes to 4G after that's complete. Odd.

Only did a quick test driving and using the tablet. So far so good.

#4 cnshook

cnshook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for all of the info, I'll check them out

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

In this thread
http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-networking/10604-portable-pocket-wireless-router.html
several people mentioned, and provided links to, portable travel routers and why they like using them.
They seem to be universal, for any device.

Edited by tos226, 10 October 2012 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users