Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running computer as someone without Admin privileges.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blixx

Blixx

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Sony Vaio laptop/Windows 7
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Firefox 15.0.1
avast! free antivirus; Spyware Blaster free.
Also for non-real time protection but for a 2nd opinion, sometimes do a scan with MBAM or Super AntiSpyware.
And after learning about it thru this site, currently doing a free online ESET scan, which the one other time I used it found junk that none of the other programs did.

I saw an article stating that most problems involving keyloggers, trojans, scareware, etc., could be prevented by my running my computer as someone without Administrative privileges - that this would prevent most programs from being able to take control, even if I unknowingly clicked on a downloader for a trojan/keylogger.

Does that sound accurate?

I am in the USA and interested in some non-USA sports, so use free streaming sites a lot which sometimes contain various types of malware.
I try to be careful, but occasionally, as tonight, I have to do a System Restore when scareware gets a program into my computer.

The article had some reader comments where they had problems making the changes the article suggested, and then had problems changing back to how it was previously, so I'm reluctant to try this without guidance in case of problems.

What do you suggest, and if you agree with the article, can someone here guide me thru the process please.
As mentioned, I'm afraid of doing it and then having problems and not being able to get it back to how it was originally if necessary, so guidance would be appreciated.

Edited by Blixx, 07 October 2012 - 04:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Not necessarily. A standard user account can be infected by some malware. But yes, it is a preventive measure and should be used.
Read this : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

I suggest, that you use Sandboxie and run your browser inside it. http://www.sandboxie.com/
Sandboxie runs your programs (like your browser) in a totally isolated space, so even if a malicious site installs something, all you have to is clean the contents of Sandboxie.

Some antivirus like avast! also have an inbuilt sandbox which run suspicious programs inside it automatically, preventing them to make actual changes to your computer.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

just wanted to add that Spyware Blaster is also non-realtime protection .it just add non trusted sites to IE and Firefox security settings

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

But you can scan manually with it.

#5 Blixx

Blixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Incorrect.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

nope ,not if this is the spywareblaster you have ,it is just a data base of know bad sites ,and it puts them into IE security section to stop IE from opening the site ,

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users