Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music files have stopped working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mastodon

Mastodon

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hello.

I recently recovered my computer from a sirefef infection, and now, for some odd reason, all my music files and video files won't play in any media players. I think the uninstallation of combofix may have caused this, but I am not sure. They were working fine before I uninstalled the tools I used to fix my computer. I normally use winamp, but I've tried several different music players and all music files are unable to play. My sound still works, but media files on my computer just aren't playing. VLC is able to play the video files, but the sound doesn't work.

Any idea of what the problem may be or how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mastodon, 06 October 2012 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mastodon

Mastodon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

To add to the problem, for some reason when I open folders and files in windows explorer and use the other windows interfaces, it makes a loud 'blip' sound on top of the normal system sound. It's incredibly annoying.

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Possible issues:

1. The computer is still infected. Outside the scope of this forum.

2. The codec is damaged or missing. Wav files are playing OK since you are getting system sounds. Assumed the music you are having trouble with are mp3. Try reinstalling VLC player and the codecs that come with it. You can check your current codec list in Control Panel, Sounds..., Hardware, Audio Codecs, Properties (or whatever is appropriate to your OS).

3. The music files are damaged (very unlikely for all to be). Transfer one of the files to any external player/phone to see if it plays (after checking file for infection!).

4. The OS is damaged. Outside the scope of this forum.

If you are getting unexpected system sounds, check your system audio scheme in Control Panel, Sounds..., Sounds. I don't get any sounds when opening files and folders but I may have a different scheme. Check your audio mixer inputs are enabled which can be found via Control Panel, Sounds... etc or any custom mixer that came with the sound card.

Edited by Nanobyte, 07 October 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#4 Mastodon

Mastodon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Replacing the audio codec did the trick. However there is still a loud 'blip' noise when using the windows interface. I've messed with system sounds, and it makes no difference as to what scheme I use, it still makes the noise.

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

I've had annoying problems with system sounds when I click a link in a browser. There are several ways to eliminate nuisance notifications.

1. Try and identify exactly when the sound is occurring. Find the occurrence in the list of system sounds. Decide if you can afford to lose it globally; if so turn it off. Save as a custom scheme.

2. Reverse of item 1. Identify the sound (they are located in C:\WINDOWS\Media\ or something similar). Go through the list of system sounds to see which events trigger that sound. Continue per 1.

3. If you find the sound/occurrence and you cannot get rid of it for some reason, rename the wav file, eg chimes.wav to chimesold.wav. Put a short blank wav file named chimes.wav in the folder. The notification will still play but no sound.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Replacing the audio codec did the trick. However there is still a loud 'blip' noise when using the windows interface. I've messed with system sounds, and it makes no difference as to what scheme I use, it still makes the noise.

turn off sound scheme ,check to see if it still makes both sounds when you click . ,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Mastodon

Mastodon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

It doesn't. It seems the blip noise goes away after a restart, but something causes it start again every now and them

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

another one of those weird windows glitches

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users