Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghost startup from full power off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Novawolf

Novawolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

System specifications:
-ACPI x64-based Dell XPS 730X
-Motherboard is Dell P/N P270J and uses the Intel X58 chipset
-Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, AMI BIOS, version 1.0.0
-6Gb RAM @ 1066 MHz, DDR3
-RAID 0 hard drive configuration
-Ethernet line running to dual G/N D-Link router which in turn is connected to my ISP's modem(All default passwords have been changed, also using WPA2)

Several months ago my desktop started up by itself several times in the middle of the night, from what i remember it was always on a sunday in the AM.
I don't use sleep or hibernate on my desktop so whenever i refer to starting up it is always from full power off.
After researching via the web and other sources I(to my understanding) learned that task scheduler can only turn on a computer from sleep or hibernate.
So I went to my BIOS and found auto power on and wake on lan to be on, i switched them off. The problem appeared to be fixed.

That is until a couple thursday's ago my computer started up while I was away from home at 12:02 am. I checked the BIOS again and found wake on lan to be
on once again. I turned it off and haven't had a problem since, but i have a few questions.

First off, it is possible I didn't save the first time I changed the BIOS and I didn't really turn it off in the first place, also I would like to note
before posting on this forum I tried to research the problem but I couldn't find a definte answer that everyone agreed on, so i'm asking the experts :).

1-To my understanding a router can send a "magic" packet to wake a computer up accidently, is this true?
2-Can a power bump reset my BIOS settings?(No i don't have a surge protector for the computer please don't yell at me :( lol)
3-Can someone else be turning on my computer, if so I know you need a MAC address to do this, can a MAC address be dervied over the internet?
4-Can my BIOS be screwy and just randomly be turning my computer on

THANK YOU for reading my topic, I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter and/or stories of simliar experiences. Thank you for helping me learn! :D

p.s. I saved a windows event viewer log from the thursday it turned on, don't really know how to read them tho.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Something else to look at is a setting I do use in my computer. I have it set to turn on when power is applied. I use this setting since When I shut down I then flick of the Power strip to remove the AC. When I flip the switch on my computer turns on. All my peripherals are powered up and I'm ready to go in less than a minute.

Often the setting I refer to has three options on AC applied power on, On AC applied resume previous state or Stay off.

This way I don't have to worry about any power surges damaging anything.

The other thing is you could use a cheap power switch to remove the AC when not using the computer. No Power, no ghost starts.

Hope one of these helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users