Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Settings To Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:28 PM

I use Outlook 2003 as my mail and contacts manager and calendar but thought I would try Thunderbird 1.5 plus a calendar extension. It installed without any problems but when I tried to use the transfer wizard to import my Outlook settings all it would bring in was the details of old obsolete accounts which I had deleted from Outlook over a year ago. OE and IE 6 are installed on my machine but not used, there are no accounts set up in OE.

My questions are:

1. Where are the details of these old accounts retained? Presumably somewhere in the registry but where and how can I delete them for good?

2. How do I import my active accounts, which are mainly gmail accounts plus one from my ISP, into Thunderbird?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

I may be wrong here, but I think you need to set up each of the accounts manually, and then import old E-mail, etc. into Tb from the other clients:

http://opensourcearticles.com/articles/int..._to_thunderbird

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:31 PM

1. Where are the details of these old accounts retained? Presumably somewhere in the registry but where and how can I delete them for good?

The registry contains no files.
It "points to files".

Deletion will require searching likely places:
C:\Documents & Settings\(old and new)Usernames\Application Data\Outlook\?
or
C:\Program Files\Outlook
if it exists there like other programs do (but probably doesn't since its a "special" microsoft app)

please note: I use t-bird primarily do to it's accessibility regarding folders/files/configurations.
Something I found Outlook and Outlook Express lack.
I haven't got the exact answer, presently haven't got winXP loaded, but feel it safe to
point you in the direction of locating them. Once found, generally deletion of files, not the folder itself,
is the way to approach it. Try one or two first, and determine effects. If problems occur, restore the
file, and chock it up to experience. Try searching for the files once you know a filename and/or
extension ... using the search button in your start menu?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users