Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-functioning Gift Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

This computer did not 'fall off of a truck', and I did not get it by 'five-fingered discount.' It was given to me by my sister after it stopped working, who in turn got it from her boyfriend sans documentation. It is several years old (not sure exactly how many). It stopped working after my niece left it turned on overnight one night, and it apparently shut itself off and hasn't turned back on since.

When I plug the adapter into the laptop (w/ adapter plugged into wall socket), a purple LED on front edge of the laptop turns on. When I press the Power button on the laptop, it glows blue for an instant, but nothing else happens.

The laptop in question is a Gateway, but I do not know which model. There are several stickers on the back, some of which have model #'s on them:

one says model PA6A (I suspect this is either a modem or a power supply)
another says model MX8738 - it is just below the previously mentioned sticker
another sticker says Windows Vista Home Premium (obviously the OS, could indicate which model too)

main reason I am interested in which model, is to download correct docs from Gateway's website.

Any help appreciated

I am not sure if I posted this in the right forum or not, I wasn't sure which to post it in. Staff should feel free to move it if I posted it in wrong forum

Edited by yu gnomi, 05 October 2012 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi

Here's the info for the laptop...
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/SonicC/1014556R/1014556Rnv.shtml

And you can try this trick to see if it comes back...
Unplug the AC adapter
Remove the battery
Press the power button to make sure there is no power left in it
Count to 10
Put the battery back in
Plug in the AC adapter
Try turning it on

Let us know how it goes :)

James

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

ty very much for link, haven't read any of the available docs yet.

tried a few things that I came across on a search of 'fix gateway laptop', including something called an ATX reset- which included the steps you detailed.

Other tips I tried included pressing fn and f6 after pressing the power button, and pressing f1, f2, f3, f4 followed by return, followed by pressing the power button. None of these tips led to the laptop starting up. I've owned desktops for a long time now, this is the first laptop I've ever owned and I am a bit out of my depth.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

It may be an overheating issue or something else that is causing a critical hardware failure. You can try removing parts and seeing if it at least lets you into the BIOS.
Blow out the dust
Try it
Remove the DVD
Try it
Remove the hard drive
Try it
Remove the memory
Try it
Remove the wireless card
Try it
Then you are at the point that you can open it up and see if something is clogging the air flow or if the heat sinks aren't making good contact with the CPU or GPU.

That's about all I have left to offer :)

Let us know if you fix it. I am very curious as to what the solution is.

James

#5 JSK0703

JSK0703

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

It may be an overheating issue or something else that is causing a critical hardware failure. You can try removing parts and seeing if it at least lets you into the BIOS.
Blow out the dust
Try it
Remove the DVD
Try it
Remove the hard drive
Try it
Remove the memory
Try it
Remove the wireless card
Try it
Then you are at the point that you can open it up and see if something is clogging the air flow or if the heat sinks aren't making good contact with the CPU or GPU.

James

Great advice. As soon as I read about the laptop being left on overnight I started thinking the same thing. Without knowing the details it's just a guess but possibly the girl left the laptop in a place where there was not adequate ventilation on the bottom. Almost always results in the laptop overheating.

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Process of elimination. Start testing the hardware as directed above. If the laptop doesn't have an auto-shutoff safety feature and wasn't in a well ventilated location, it could have very well fried something important on the inside.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'll work on it as James Litton suggested later today- I'll admit I was hoping for an 'easy fix', but there might not be one.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Blow out the dust
Try it
Remove the DVD
Try it
Remove the hard drive
Try it
Remove the memory
Try it
Remove the wireless card
Try it

James

I did something along those lines with a Toshiba, What finally did the trick on that one was disconnecting the flat ribbon cable to a set of multimedia buttons next to the keyboard. At that point it sprang back to life. I left that unhooked and all was good.

So to your suggestion I also suggest unhook the keyboard and touchpad and external usb ports if they use a cable to connect. Anything else that plugs in also.
I also suggest looking at the USB ports for visible damage. If the plastic piece in the port gets broken out the pins can short to the shell of the USB port and cause a dead appearing computer. I fixed two Dell Optiplexes by unplugging the front USB ports as a test. Then replacing the USB port when the computers worked again.

I had a old Sager I took in trade where two USB Ports were damaged like that, It had enough anyway so I filled them with hotmelt glue after making sure the pins were not touching each other or the metal shell. Not real likely since this one is supposed to have died when left on overnight but still worth a look.

Best Regards
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users