Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 issue Upload speedtest fails every time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 pinthewind

pinthewind

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Been working on this system for a few hours now and have tried a lot of different things to try resolve this issue. This is a Win7 x64 system that suddenly slowed down drastically on the Internet (probably after installing some crap from the internet).

Have run TDSskiller and found rpcnet.exe running and removed that service completely, but the system is still pretty slow on the internet. Have tested the connection with another known good PC and connection upload speed capability is 3-5mbps while download capacity is 50mbps.

On the problem machine the upload speed test fails 100% of the time and download is about 25mbps or half of the capacity.

Have run malwarebytes and a number of other malware detection software and gone through each service manually (that's how I found RPCnet.exe). The system appears clean to me, but is somehow not.

Tried several different Network adapters on the system (one Ethernet and one WiFi), both of which seem to exhibit the same problems with upload speed.

I've run DDS and the log files are attached.

Any clues as to what I might be missing would be much appreciated.

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. DDS logs are allowed only in MRL. ~ Queen-Evie*

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 October 2012 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 pinthewind

pinthewind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

I am here:

Things I've tried:

1.       Full antivirus scan with AVIRA – returned 0 infected files (even though there were several malware files active) – uninstalled AVIRA: You’ll have to re-install this.
2.       Full malwarebytes scan – returned 0 infected items.
3.       Full adwcleaner scan found a couple of left over toolbar registry entries. Removed all.
5.       Manual removal of (rpcnet.dll and exe programs from syswow64 and matching FAKE services).
6.       Registry search for any remnants pointing to rpcnet.dll and rpcnetp.exe. Deleted all found entries.
7.       CCLeaner scan and removal of all temp files.
8.       CCLeaner and disabling of unnecessary startup items.
9.       Uninstall of Absolute Notifier application (likely the application that installed rpcnet.exe)

Thanks for any tips in advance.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hmmm, not seeing this as a malware problem.

Can you run OTL and aswMBR

• Please download OTL
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.

Then

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Posted Image

#5 pinthewind

pinthewind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Turns out that Carbonite may have been the problem. Forgot to disable that and think that it may have been uploading a large file of some kind. The system is operating as expected this morning and I'm thinking that while I was working on it it was uploading some large file (like my PST) in the background limiting my upload speeds. Thanks for your help, you can close this topic.

Cheers,
Pi

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for letting me know :thumbup2:

-----------------------------------------------

This topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users