Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Issues Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 beetrootpie

beetrootpie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I recently purchased a new computer. The cd drive from my old one was used. I and have installed my copy of windows 7 home premium and all updates, along with other software and have noticed some issues.

There are 4 notable problems. I am wondering if this could be linked to a driver issue or if there are any other suggestions.

1) Often but not always the computer cannot be woken once it goes to sleep mode. The only way out is to force a restart with the power button.

2) When you do the above on boot it goes into 'system restore' but as far as I can see it can never complete this, the cursor just bleep away (I left for two hours once). So I have to force restart again, where I can have the option to delete the restore and boot as normal.

3)Separate to the above, occasional on boot at the point where the windows logo appears for the first time, the computer can hang for a long time (3mins) at this point before procedeing with the boot. Like it cannot find what it needs to move forward.

4) Also (but of less importance), On boot up the gigabyte touch screen gui appears for around 10 seconds before moving onto a more traditional bootup. I dont have a touch screen monitor and cannot utilise that functionality. Is it possible to get around this point and start straight away with normal boot.

Any help greatly appreaciated. Note all hardware would be under warranty but it appears more likely it's a software issue to me.

Thanks,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

What kind of computer is it? Or if you built it yourself or had someone build it, what is the motherboard model? Thanks :)

#3 beetrootpie

beetrootpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Thanks your time to reply obmute.

I had it built at a computer shop. They had it set-up running 64-bit, but I changed it over to a 32-bit version so I could use my licenced copy from the old machine.

Its all new except for the disc drive which was taken from my dell old computer. The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3.

Intel I5 processor, 4GB RAM, Asus video card.

Regards,

Mark

#4 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

No problem, personally I would start off with doing a BIOS update on the machine, usually by default motherboards will come with a much outdated BIOS that could cause some of those issues. Here's the link to download the one of the latest BIOS versions for your system: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z68xp-ud3_f10.exe I gave the latest stable BIOS release I could find. I found people having issues with the most recent one, also here is an article on how to flash the BIOS since I'm unsure of your experience: http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/12/updating-bios-using-gigabyte-q-flash.html Let me know if that helps! Oh, also for Touch BIOS you should be able to just go into Control Panel - Programs and Features - and should see Touch BIOS or Gigabyte Touch BIOS listed there and just uninstall it from there since you don't need it :).

Edited by Obmute, 06 October 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#5 beetrootpie

beetrootpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hi the BIOS update hasn't gone well. After following steps for update it said it updated sucessfully but now it will not start at all and appears corrumpted. Is there a WU to reverse that update? This is from my phone thanks mark

#6 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

First thing that you should do is probably is clear the CMOS, you should see a round battery on the motherboard, take that out for about a minute then put it back in, let me know how that goes.

#7 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Actually you might want to try this first, gigabyte motherboards do have a backup BIOS to revert it back, here's 2 ways to force it:

Method #1:
1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down
2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

Got that from here, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697533 don't think Method 3 is necessary in this case so just try that first

#8 beetrootpie

beetrootpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Obmute,

I tried everything. With removing the battery etc, I could get it to the stage of trying to boot windows but as soon as logo appeared it immediately flashed to a blue screen with some codes and restarted the computer. On start-up it goes straight to system repair but after a while says it can not be repaired and basically indicates that error is unknown. Tried system roll-back as well.On one occasion I got a post error message from the bios also. Just looking on line if you read this thread it exactly what happened in my situation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301199-30-z68xp-issd-windows-wont-boot-bios-update

Anyway I've just done a temp re-install of windows to get some of my files and emails back-up. So writing this from the PC now. Now going to wipe it all and start from scratch. The good thing is its relatively new so I don't have that much to get going. Will be interesting to see if the same issues are apaprent afterwoulds. I might try and do the bios update again before wiping to see if it causes the same issues. That way I'll know that fix its pretty much off limits in future.

Cheers,

MArk

#9 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ah, ok, sorry about that! most of the time I don't see issues with updating the BIOS but usually issues with the BIOS will cause wake up issues, etc. Let me know how that goes, and you did do it through q-flash? I see that's the best way. And yea flashing before wiping might be a good idea, hope it doesn't fail though!

Edited by Obmute, 06 October 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#10 beetrootpie

beetrootpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

No worries obmute, I appreciate your time in helping, the outcome could not have been predicted and it probably just brought forward the inevitable anyway. I wasn't aware a bios could be updated as well so it was a good exercise for an amateur like me. It's pretty much back up and running now. I have a feeling there are still issues there however. I re-installed the windows media pack and some other programs (I have the N version of windows 7,) and it also ran some updates and on boot-up it hung for a long time again on bios intro page and then on the launch operating system page. On one of the updates it also failed and had to go into recovery mode...

Actually the bios didn't roll back anyway after I updated it (unless it already came with that version which I doubt). When I checked in System Information after posting previous message the bios version reads F10. When I updated the first time I pressed delete on bios startup, then I think f7 gave me the option to load an update from flash drive. It seemed to be happy with the file and said the update was successful but then wouldn't load windows.

I will need to monitor for a little bit to see if the power issue is solved.I might check back here in a week or so and give an update.

Thanks,

Mark

#11 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Glad to hear you're back up and running :). I'll check back here after a while.

#12 beetrootpie

beetrootpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

Okay have been monitoring for a few days. Sleep problem appears fixed with latest bios and it wakes up on command so thanks for tip.

Something that it is still doing and am now thinking it may be motherboard related as well after your information is it continues to my external hard drive and the speakers after shutdown. They are both connected via USB to the PC. The external hard-drive light just keep blinking away unless I shut off at the power point. It still seems to hang a bit sometimes to on boot up. Both annoying but can live with them.

Cheers,

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users