Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows defender+firewall+security essentials VS Norman VS Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NOR_Chrass

NOR_Chrass

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi

I've just been helped by bleepingcomputer.com to remove a nasty bug from my computer.

Now the question is what I should use of the software I have available.

1. I can use windows defender, windows firewall and microsoft security essentials. All those are free and fits in nicely with my windows vista OS. However, I'm don't have a lot of good experience with windows built in software...

2. I can use Norman security suite (not pro) that I get for free from the bank I use (all clients get free licenses to this software). I've tried that program before, and was quickly very annoyed by all the pop-ups and messages I got all the time. It also made my system work very slow.

3. Last now, I bought a licence for lavasoft's Ad-Aware Pro. It runs nice, doesn't slow down the computer much and seems to contain whatever I need as a normal internet user. problem is that I've been told that this software isn't very safe at all, and that I should use something else.

Any recommendations out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi NOR_Chrass,

Ad Aware Pro is medium - quality software and it has got the 2.5 /5 rating in this year's review on pcmag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402182,00.asp).

Personally, I would recommend you Avast Free Antivirus, which is light on the system, completely free and has a very good reputation - 4/5 stars on pcmag (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401321,00.asp).

If you choose to stay with Ad Aware Pro, I would advise to disable Windows Firewall (Ad Aware has built-in firewall) but to leave Windows Defender turned on.

If you choose Avast, you would need to leave Windows Firewall turned on but disable Windows Defender.

Best of luck.

Edited by easyrider2, 06 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

I can use Norman security suite (not pro) that I get for free from the bank I use << Very low rated in almost all tests. Very odd a bank would like this -
Last now, I bought a licence for lavasoft's Ad-Aware Pro. << You just spent $35 to $45 ?? on this, so give it a try for a few months -

You have gone for the lower end of the market, so I would expect to have lower end performance from either (Ad Aware or Norman) -
The rest is above from easyrider2 - Post back if you want more info -

Good Luck -

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users