Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly installed Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 meltin

meltin

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

I recently bought a copy of Windows 7 and installed it, put the product key in and it has been working fine for a few weeks. Suddenly, it's saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine." The computer has only ever had Windows 7 on it. I read that it could be an issue if I used an "upgrade" version of Windows 7. I'm not sure if that's what I have or not. I ordered "Windows 7 Premium." It says, "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" but it doesn't say it's an upgrade version.

Now, when I try to put the product key in, it's saying it's invalid. Can anyone help me? I tried calling Microsoft but keep getting a busy signal. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi
Did you activate it? It will run 30 days without activation and then give you that error message.

I have never hit a busy signal with Microsoft. Are you sure you are calling the right number? Do not use a number from Google search.

Activate Windows 7 on this computer

Activate using the telephone

If Windows isn't able to activate online, you'll have the option to activate Windows 7 using an automated phone system.

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌

Click Show me other ways to activate.

Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

Click Use the automated phone system. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

When prompted, enter the installation ID that's listed on your screen into your phone's keypad.

Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.

Type the confirmation ID into the space provided under Step 3 in the activation dialog, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

If activation isn't successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a customer service representative who can assist you.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 meltin

meltin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I dialed 1-877-696-7786 which is the number listed for support on the e-mail I received with my receipt when I bought Windows 7. I looked again and I had misread an 8 as a B so it accepted it now. Thank you so much!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'm glad the issue is resolved and Thank You for reporting back what the resolution was.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users