Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second time seeing this

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nkolvek

nkolvek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Let me just start by saying I work in a repair shop. I clean hundreds of machines a month. I have been doing this a very, very long time. Over the course of this last month I have encountered a very weird error with combofix and the current posts here on the forums basically just state in a roundabout way the poster is an idiot and offer no real help.

During a cleanup on 2 separate machines (one win 7 64 bit and one 32 bit vista) stating combofix cannot run in compatibility mode when it is not running in compatibility mode nor are any options set (vista install for this one). Trying to run combofix this morning on another customers machine and I get this...

Any explanation because the only answer currently in the forums are "you shouldn't run combofix by yourself".

See attached picture.

Attached Files

• Attached File  wtf.jpg   331.33KB   18 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

As you may know the developer of Combofix requests to keep information about the working of his tool restricted. Because he offers this tool for free, this is within his rights and at BC we respect that.

Without being able to be sure, due to lack of information regarding the state of the machines this happened on, I can only say that quite often malware (tries to) interfere with the running of CF and can cause various errors.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Also might want to try right clicking and running as Admin. Or try it in safemode after running rkill? Or did you download the software new each time, or are you using the same version from a memory key? As Elise pointed out, there is a lack of information. BTW, happy anniversary, Elise. :)
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users