Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive dying? Or AVG installation issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Llyn

Llyn

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

I've been here before and you guys rock. This time it's a Compaq Presario desktop running XP Media Center Edition. I recently uninstalled Norton and installed AVG Internet Security and PC Tuneup (ironically, in an attempt to get better performance from it). All seemed well during the install, but ever since the next time the PC was rebooted (after the reboot required by the install, that is), it goes directly into chkdsk. Chkdsk completes, finds nothing, but then just sits there -- Windows never starts. Tried to boot up into safemode, but it hangs on avgidshx.sys.

It's an older computer, so it might well be a hard drive issue, but in poking around on other forums trying to get a grip on this, I've seen similar issues reported by people who just uninstalled Norton and/or installed AVG. I have tried some of the things I found on other sites, like fsutil dirty query c: and renaming avg*.sys, but have gotten nowhere with any of them -- made no changes -- mostly because I'm in recovery console and those prompts don't work there. Booted from an XP recovery disc (from another PC though; I have no idea where the one for this PC is -- I'm doing this for a friend), but once I get to c:\windows I have no idea what to do, so I (wisely, I think) have done nothing. That's where you guys come in :)

Anyway, I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Llyn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

I haven't done this in a while so be prepared to undo it if it doesn't work. This used to work but things may work differently nowadays :)

Rename the AVG directory
C:\Program Files\grisoft\
to something like
C:\Program Files\grisoftOLD\

and try rebooting. If it doesn't help, go back and rename it to
C:\Program Files\grisoft\

commands are something like this...

cd "c:\program files"
ren grisoft grisoftOLD

If it works, use AVG's uninstall program
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Remember to rename the folder back to its original name right before running the uninstaller.

Let us know if this works or you have trouble doing it.

James

EDIT: Just checked and the folder may be called C:\Program Files\AVG these days. Once you do the
cd "c:\program files"
Type dir to list the contents and you'll see what you need to rename.

Edited by James Litten, 05 October 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#3 Llyn

Llyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Your instructions were right on the money -- it worked like a charm -- THANK YOU!!!!!!! Much rejoicing on this end!!!!

I haven't uninstalled AVG yet -- what's your take on whether the problem was an installation glitch (i.e., probably a one-off) or an actual issue with AVG (that would probably recur)? In other words, am I uninstalling to re-install AVG, or should I go with something else?

I did, at some point, manage to get it to restore to the last working configuration (didn't know that had worked until it finally actually booted again), so when it booted just now, it had Norton on it again. If I go with AVG and uninstall Norton, what order should I do it all in? Uninstall AVG, uninstall Norton, reinstall AVG? Any other advice on the subject, like what else to go with if neither Norton nor AVG is your recommendation?

Thank you again SO MUCH for your help :)

Lynn

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm glad that worked :)

Use the Norton uninstaller if you want to uninstall Norton.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

I have repaired many XP computers that had problems after attempting to uninstall Norton products via add/remove programs.

AVG is fine. Lately I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials on XP machines but I usually change my mind on virus software every couple of months.

If AVG is still on there, rename the folder back to what it was (so the uninstaller can find it) and run that removal tool I linked to in the previous post. Otherwise it might cause more problems.

I would not be surprised if removing Norton with the tool they supply (instead of add/remove programs) and then installing AVG works. Like I said, I've seen a lot of problems with Norton uninstalls.

Let us know if you have any more issues with this process.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users