Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot selection failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Calvinder

Calvinder

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hello all
I have a big problem
I was trying to repair a MMC problem and did a sys restore to before a major Microsoft update in June 2012 on my win 7 64 bit desk top.
I saw on Microsoft community that that could have been the cause of my MMC problem. When the restore tried to reboot all I get is this

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. click "repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance

Info: The boot selection entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I have tried a startup repair and restoring back to the restore point I created before I tried to go back to June from my original win 7 DVD and others with no luck.

Most info I can find on this requires running the system I can not. I canít even run in Safe mode.

Hoping not to have to reinstall win 7.

I do have win XP pro on a different drive on the same machine.

Any suggestions?

Calvin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have also done a check disk and then tried the start up repair and SYS restore

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

I was trying to repair a MMC problem

care to elaborate what the problem was with windows management

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

THis is the tread for the MMC problem.

My link

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Chkdsk /r only addresses the file system, file storage, etc...it really doesn't serve as a hard drive diagnostic.

I would run the apppriate hard drive diagnostic, to ensure that the underlying base of the O/S isn't faulty. Manufacturers of hard drives generally make such available for download at their respective websites.

Worth a look, http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/204643-file-windows-system32-winload-exe-missing-corrupt.html

Even though it seems to be a boot file problem, I would verify the functional status of the hard drive before attempting to address what may be symptoms.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users