Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

do I just need a new battery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong place, please move.

My daughter's laptop will not turn on. the last thing I remember was that she was using it on battery power. when she said there wasn't much battery power left I told her to plug it in. of course that did not happen and I imagine she wore the battery right down. and this might be a stupid question for some but I have not yet experienced this because, alas, I plug my own laptop in as often as I can and don't use my battery very much.

so....my question is: do I just need to buy a new battery? When I press the power button (and it's plugged in) it flashes the green light as if it were going to turn on but then nothing happens. guessing I just need a new battery, yes?

thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

It may be helpful if you were to post the make and model of this laptop. How old is this laptop?

If you have a volt meter see if any voltage is showing. The power adopter has the secondary voltage listed on it, it will be the DC voltage, this is the voltage you should be reading.

Another thing to check is the connector from the power adopter to the laptop. This is a common problem.

If the power adapter proves to be the problem and you are going to replace it remember that you not only have to match the voltage, you also need to match the mA (milliampere) rating.

Edited by dc3, 05 October 2012 - 09:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

If you have another power adapter to use on the laptop hook it up and see what happens. Sometimes the adapters fail and need to be replaced.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

No battery needed. Do not waste your money on a battery.
You can take the battery out of a laptop and while plugged in it will still work.

As a simple test, take out the battery and see if it still flashes green. Probably not as I suspect that the green flash is from the battery and that no power from the AC Adapter is present.

My guess based on past experience is that:

1.The AC Adapter is not plugged in. Check at the Wall outlet and where that cord plugs into the AC Adapter.
2. The AC Adapter is defective, or the cable from it to the computer has problems.
3. The Small plug that plugs into the computer or the socket in the computer is broken. Look carefully.
4. The DC-In jack connections inside the laptop are broken or the DC-In jack is bad.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

oh excellent!! thanks so much for the help, will try the suggestions. appreciate it greatly!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users