Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Disk For Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iwaod

iwaod

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

Greetings,
My brother in law purchased a used IBM thinkpad 600e. I believe it's 400mhz. It came with XP Pro installed, but the sticker on it says "Designed for WIN 98". I upgraded his RAM to 256 mg. but it still runs a little slower than I think it should and I am considering installing WIN 98 or ME (shudder) in the hopes of speeding it up. From my past experiences XP can actually overwhelm older units such as this. I have already eliminated unwanted software and reduced startup programs, ran "Tuneup 2006" to clean up the registry, and defragged the HD.
Do I need some type of installation disk like those that come with new mobos to insure that all the hardware gets installed or will 98 or ME handle it. OR ...... Should I not bother? LOL :thumbsup:
Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

AoD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

I know the notebook your brother-in-law has. It came with Windows 98. If you want to install a different OS, other than XP I would install Windows 2000 Professional. It is very lite on resources and is almost s secure as XP Professional. I have it running on several computer and find it very stable. As a matter of fact I upgraded from 98se and ME to Windows 2000 Professional. I think you will find it a hugh improvement over 98 or ME. I have four computers that are running it on 256mb. No problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

What size processor?

Download Everest Home version 1.51 (the last full featured freeware version) from oldversion.com

Run it and it will give you all the specs of the computer and its software as well as links for various updates for what is installed in the computer.

It will also point out problems.

#4 iwaod

iwaod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

I thank you both for the advice!

AoD

#5 acklan