Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook broken in IE8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ianfreeman

ianfreeman

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Since yesterday I find I can't access Facebook via IE8 - it's fine in Chrome and Opera.

I'm not sure it's possible to add screenshots to this post so I'll try to explain what happens. I get to the Facebook site OK but there is no actual content on the page although the Facebook logo and other details are present.

There is a 'Done but with errors on page' message on the status bar.The details of the error are very long so I won't post them here unless someone tells me I should.

I have done all the usual cache-clearing, disabling various anti-virus programs etc., to no avail. The problem appears to have arisen after I downloaded the latest Bluetooth stack for Toshiba laptops - Bluetooth had disappeared from my laptop, as sometimes happens.

Any light anyone can shed on this would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

Hi -
Is this still on your Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 or have you changed computers ??

Remove / disable the Bluetooth application if this has just caused the problem, I have it disabled on my Win7 Toshiba Laptop -

Thank You -

#3 ianfreeman

ianfreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for the response. Yes it, the same computer/OS.

I really don't want to remove the Bluetooth application as I find it useful. Seems strange that it may be causing this problem in IE, though - as I said, Facebook is fine in other browsers.

I'd be happy to disable it when I'm not using it if that would help - would you mind letting me know how to go about doing that? Many thanks again.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

I really don't want to remove the Bluetooth application as I find it useful

Wellllll .......

Your other option is to just use Chrome and Opera for your F/book, as many do prefer Opera as their standard browser.

My reply was "theoretical" mainly, as I see no problem with using Opera or Chrome if that is what you would prefer -
"(Logitech Inc.) -- C:\Program Files\logitech\LWS\Webcam Software" was your only installed Bluetooth, unless you added extra devices.

<<The problem appears to have arisen after I downloaded the latest Bluetooth stack for Toshiba laptops >>
There is another option. To revert back to the version of Bluetooth you were using, as I do not know what the latest versions involve or change.

Try this, but please observe the Note at the end -
1) Open Control Panel.
2) Make sure it is set to "Classic" view.
3) Open Device Manager (under the "System" Control Panel tool).
4) At the top of the hardware devices listing, there will be an entry labeled as "Bluetooth Radios".
5) Right-click all entries labeled "Microsoft" and disable them.
NOTE : Sometimes, such as with Logitech's Setpoint software for Vista, the Microsoft Bluetooth stack MUST be enabled.
If you have such a Logitech device, you will have to keep the Microsoft stack enabled.
Microsoft writes its Bluetooth stack in such a way that the majority if Bluetooth devices work with it.

A bit of "plus and minus" seems to be added to this quote taken from Vista Forums -

Sorry that I can not be more specific -

#5 ianfreeman

ianfreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

That's really helpful, many thanks - and simple to understand!

I don't have 'Bluetooth Radios' in Device Manager. I have a 'Bluetooth' entry which lists four items: Bluetooth RFBUS; Bluetooth RFCOMM; Bluetooth RFHID; and Bluetooth USB Controller-5 from Toshiba. I do have a Logitech keyboard/mouse but I don't have the webcam any more so that software is no longer installed.

I am currently using Opera as my main browser as I find Chrome uses too much CPU - and it's fine, but I do still prefer IE. Oddly, Facebook is fine in IE9 but I can't use it as I get blurred type on screen with IE9 and couldn't find a fix online so reverted back to IE8.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Have you seen this link? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545698

Tekken

#7 ianfreeman

ianfreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

I have, yes, thanks. I tried almost everything suggested here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2638466 without success. Currently looking at this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/fonts-are-blurry-in-internet-explorer-9/6fb4ad99-056e-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?auth=1&page=2 to see if it helps.

#8 ianfreeman

ianfreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

Found this http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper on that thread. Not sure if it will help, but I've downloaded it and will try it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users