Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp safe mode with networking nightmare

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 z_w

z_w

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

My computer powered off and back on by itself (was lightly raining outside) and when it did,I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I took it to the I. T. guy at my job who reloaded the service packs on to my computer but could not get it to access internet with internet explorer. I downloaded the latest verson of internet explorer to a jump drive and loaded it onto my computer but it still would not work. I tried to update windows in safe mode and that does not work. I also loaded the windows service pack 3. Odviously I am a novice and have done way to many things to try to get the computer to work properly. by re-loading the service pack 3 I caused the computer to be eternally stuck in safe mode. I was finally able to get the internet explorer program to work so I could connect to the internet but that's all I seem to be able to do now. Any program I try to load gets hung up in installation in safe mode and I either have to shut off by holding the power button down or by pressing control, alt, delete to end the running of the program. I really cannot afford to purchase a new computer at this time and really hope someone can really dumb down how I can fix my mistakes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi z_w,

Wow, what a story. I won't even ask why service packs were being installed on a nonworking PC. Updates are only applied after the PC is operational.

My first suggestion is to copy your data to something and wipe and reload the hard drive. The OS sounds so torqued that nothing will run.

You can try a system restore and see if that gets you back to a good starting point.

To start system restore click Start > All programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. Follow the steps there to revert to an earlier state before the troubles. Let me know if that was successful.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Onscreen error messages?

Louis

#4 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Onscreen error messages?

Louis

Is that question for me or z_w? Why would you install services packs... Or to z_w are you getting onscreen error messages? Sorry, I'm a little slow today :wacko:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Since the OP is the one proclaiming/enunciating system problems...my post is directed to the OP.

Louis

#6 z_w

z_w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

tried system restore. computer restarted back at safe mode. I choose safe mode with networking. computer locks at "windows is running in safe mode" screen. I cannot move curser with mouse nor press letter "y" to choose to proceed to work in safe mode.

#7 z_w

z_w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

initially the only onscreen error messages I received before I performed the system restore were due to me trying to update windows in safe mode which I quickly found out is impossible.

#8 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm back to the first suggestion. I was hoping the revert the system back and undo some of the issues but the OS is beyond that.

Can you give the the make and model of you system (or specs if it a custom build)? I'd like to get a better idea of the hardware and age of the PC.

#9 z_w

z_w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

it is a dell dimension Inspiron 2400. I've had it for roughly 8 years.

#10 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi z_w,

With that old of a computer There are two issues I need you to check.

First, I want you to browse through the wiki article and pay attention to the pictures: Capacitor_plague

Remove the side of the case. In a well lit room, look at the motherboard and see if you have problem capacitors.

Remove the hard drive tray: Replacing Hard Drive
Scroll down the the bottom for hard drive removal instructions. Don't disconnect anything from the hard drive or remove the hard drive from the bracket. Just turn it around so you can read the details on the drive.

I need:
Drive Manufacturer: (Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate, etc.)
Drive Model Number:
Drive Date(if there is one): (might be a date code but that's ok)

Find the Dell Service Tag and give me the letter/number combination.

Your findings of the capacitor inspection.

#11 z_w

z_w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

will do this eve and get back to you

#12 z_w

z_w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

capacitors are fine.

couldn't get to info. but I will try to do my best with what I can see from front of unit through perforation in metal in front of computer.

seagate
st380011a
p/n 9w2003-032
hda p/n 10275523
barracuda 7200.7, 80 gb.
s/n 3jv6cbax.
date code 04157

this is all I could make out.

service tag jx8ww31

#13 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

I have looked up the info on your PC:

Dell born on date: Dec 8th 2004

Hard Drive born on date: Oct 17th 2003

With that age of the Seagate drive I want to test it first. Nine years is like dog years for a hard drive. Five years is a typical lifespan for a desktop hard drive. Some last longer some don't make it to five years but they all degrade over time and die.

Follow the instructions from the previous post to remove the drive being sure to note the orientation of the power and ATA cable before removing. The cables and drive are keyed to mate one way but I've seen people force them anyway and break things.

The drive will need to be attached to the workstation you will test with. You will need a way to interface the drive with the workstation. Something like this would work best.

I want you to download and install HD Tune to test the hard drive with.

This would also be the time to copy your personal data, which I'm sure you have a lot after 8 years, to the working PC.

When you get to the HD Tune page, scroll down to the second selection hdtune_255.exe and download and run the program.

Click the drop down and select your 80GB ST380011a drive. Click the health tab then click the copy to clipboard icon at the top of the window. Paste this information in your reply to me. Next click the error scan tab then click start. Let the scan finish then click the copy to clipboard again and paste the results in your reply.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this on your own you will need to enlist support from your IT friend.

#14 z_w

z_w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

the I T guy is no John/Cory (no longer at the company
I work for) and would not be much help.

i'm afraid I would screw my computer up even more. judging by your response regarding dog years, I believe it best to bite the bullet and save to get a new computer.

#15 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

You definitely got your moneys worth from this one. Eight years, you don't see that very often.

I wouldn't power up the PC until you are ready to pull the drive and migrate the data. If the drive is bad the more you run it the worse it can get. Who ever you purchase the new computer from be sure and let them know you need the data from your old PC moved.

Phoenix102

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users