Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arrrrgh!!! Vista ISO boot disk FAILS to boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson1153

Tyson1153

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'll keep this short.

1. Vista full installation ISO disc created

2. Disc boots up fine in an XP computer (so disc is fine)

3. Disc does NOT boot up in the Vista computer (my dilemma)

4. XP disc boots up fine in the Vista computer (so CD-ROM is fine)

What could possibly be wrong here? The only remote thing I can think about is that this is a 32-bit install as opposed to 64-bit. I am not sure which bit is in this computer and I am not even sure that really matters. It is a Toshiba A205-s5801 which came from factory with Windows Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

Specs: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=1909172&rpn=PSAF3U&modelFilter=A205-S5801&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

<<1. Vista full installation ISO disc created>>

Created from what?

That system seems to have come with a recovery partition and recovery mechanism which is the only option provided by manufacturer for any Windows repair/installation.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

How did you create a Vista boot disc?

#4 Tyson1153

Tyson1153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Specs: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=1909172&rpn=PSAF3U&modelFilter=A205-S5801&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

<<1. Vista full installation ISO disc created>>

Created from what?]

That system seems to have come with a recovery partition and recovery mechanism which is the only option provided by manufacturer for any Windows repair/installation.

Louis

A buddy of mine sent me an ISO image of the Vista bundle because this computer came with no discs. This ALL started when I tried to do a clean install from the D drive on the computer. A third of the way, the installation stopped and on reboot, I got hit with that (now I realize) famous error:

\windows\system32\winload.exe (file missing or corrupt)

I could not access the computer's recovery environment after that.

I got an ISO version of the Recovery environment, ran the repair and that did not work either because, it appears, the partitions are all gone.

I scoured the net for every fix imaginable with NO success so I decided to get a copy of Vista and got the ISO which I burned with my son's Windows 7 "Power Go" software burning program. It ran successfully and I can use that same disc on my windows XP computer. Disc boots up and goes through the motions leading up to the install. When I take an XP disc an pops it into the Vista computer (in question), it boots up just fine, BUT, BUT, BUT, when it gets to the actual installation (of XP), it says that windows could not find a hard drive to install it on.

Now, before we say "AHA!" the drive is seen in the BIOS (does not mean the drive could not be bad)and I think I remembered it showing contents when I did a "bootrec" from he command prompt.

#5 Tyson1153

Tyson1153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

How did you create a Vista boot disc?

Power2Go from Windows 7. Slowed speed down from 8x to 3x.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

No, I mean where did you get the .iso file from? I don't believe there are any legitimate means to obtain one.

#7 Tyson1153

Tyson1153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

No, I mean where did you get the .iso file from? I don't believe there are any legitimate means to obtain one.

Not sure where he got it from. He has two computers with Vista on it so (please forgive me if I am being ignorant here), I just thought he burned a copy of his disc an sent it to me. I can't say, but I can ask.

Despite how he made it, what is thoroughly confusing me is why the disc boots up in the XP computer but not the Vista, yet the Vista computer allows the XP Disc to boot. In fact, I can pop the ISO disc into the ROM of my XP computer and view the options:

INSTALL (Vista) NOW
How to Transfer files
etc.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

You can't tell us much about how you acquired a Vista boot .iso which boots in one system and not another...we can't tell you any more than you tell us because...what you have stated does not pass the common-sense test.

Maybe you ought to ask your buddy.

If the disk works on one system but not another...that would seem to point to some type of hardware problem on system going wrong...maybe.

Me...I would just contact Toshiba and see if I could obtain a set of recovery disks.

Louis

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I second Louis's suggestion for the Toshiba recovery discs since they will install the Windows, Drivers, Toshiba needed utilities and applications.

Your DVD drive could be bad as far as reading DVD disks and still read CDroms. If this is the case the Recovery disks won't work either.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Tyson1153

Tyson1153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well, I will make the call to Toshiba. Was trying to avoid THAT headache and wait time. Kinda sucks that their D (back up drive) crashed (not access the recovery environment) and now I have to buy discs when they could have provided the discs on purchase in the event something like this happens.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Toshiba as do many makers do not provide disks with the computer.
What they do is provide a mechanism to burn your own disks using a Disk Creator program they put on the computer. That process usually takes 3 or 4 DVD blanks.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users